Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handling

Question Handling

My Kitfox Classic 4 is just about unmanageable during fast taxi trials. I feel it is a real accomplishment when I stay on the runway.
    I have a belt reduction Great Plains VW engine rated at 100 h.p. for take-off turning a 72 inch Sterba wooden prop. It also has a Grove main gear.
    I took instruction from "Stick and Rudder" and Paul's Kitfox handled like a dream
    Any suggestions how to tame this beast will be appreciated. Jack

Default Re: Handling

I am probably the last person that should be replying to this but I have just been studying tailwheels. If you have the Maule, try removing the cam. This will prevent the wheel from free swiveling. It has been known to release too soon and the airplane will be unmanageable if that happens. Good luck.

Might be an alignment problem with the main gear. Grove sells shims to solve alignment issues. http://www.groveaircraft.com/accessories.html
    A couple degrees out and the ride can be exciting. Did a quick search and found many threads on fixing this. Below is a link to a thread with a photo tutorial on checking alignment then fixing misalignments.

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...tutorial/page2

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

An aircraft as light as a Kitfox IV is going to be a handful trying to control during high speed ground runs. I avoided it and merely taxied (a lot) at normal speeds making S turns along the way and intermittent stops.
    You might want to check your wheel alignment.
    ...and stay in the grass!

jon
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!

All the info needed is right in the Grove website. Get there via the Link at the top of the forum. That's what I used for calculating the angle of shim I needed. I also purchased my shims from Kitfox themselves as they are bit less expensive than what Grove gets for theirs.

Hmm, did that kinda remind you of Desert Fox 4?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

From the very beginning, high speed taxiing has been discouraged precisely because of what you are experiencing. I did it once and this on my second build having 900 hours in type. I lost it, but recovered which gave me tons of confidence to make the first flight the next day - this after not flying a Kitfox for about three years.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by CoClimber View Post
    I am probably the last person that should be replying to this but I have just been studying tailwheels. If you have the Maule, try removing the cam. This will prevent the wheel from free swiveling. It has been known to release too soon and the airplane will be unmanageable if that happens. Good luck.
    Co Climber Thanks but I have already disabled the castering feature on the Maule tailwheel. I should have mentioned that in my initial post. Jack

One more thought. The Maule tailwheel that came with the early Kitfoxes was regularly abandoned by the builders. The Issue then was mostly tailwheel shimmy. I went to the 6" double fork Home Builders from Spruce. I also have about a half link of slop in the chain/spring link which was the talk of the day when most of the guys were building IVs. I have been chastised by A&Ps (One a Stearman expert) for that, but it is what works for me.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Lowell, are you saying you are being told you have the too little slop or too much? I only had shimmy problems with my original tail wheel. This new AB3224A tail wheel is solid and stable. I seem to feel the rudder horn spring working much better on the right than when I push the left rudder. Turning Left, I need to often use breaking. Both my springs have some slack and seem to be even but they are not operating the wheel the same for sure.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

The Stearman A&P wanted it tight enough that there would be a bit of tension on the springs. He saw it the day I ferried a Stearman owner to pick up his airplane after an annual. It was free advice. I guess I mention it because I don't believe there is only one right way for every make and model.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel