Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Ferry S7 from Fairbanks, AK to Chicago, IL Area

Default Ferry S7 from Fairbanks, AK to Chicago, IL Area

Gentlemen,

I am selling my Kitfox due to military orders (I had posted earlier this week about a pending move). I have a 2013 Super Sport 7 with the Dynon avionics suite.

I am currently deployed, and have a buyer that has committed and made the deposit. He's a first time buyer, excited, and asked me to assist in the shipping or ferrying of the aircraft. I thought I would start here. The aircraft is wings folded in my shop for the winter (Alaska) and would need to be trailered to the local strip (I have a trailer). It is in annual, and a very solid and well equipped aircraft. I am advising against shipping due to the harsh roads and how hard it is on the bird.

So the short of the long...anyone know of an experienced Kitfox driver with enough experience to aid my A&P buddy unfold the wings and fly it back to Chicago area (obviously compensated)? I have made the flight several times by helicopter and fixed wing. I can tell you it is a blast and once in a lifetime.

Also, to present all courses of action to this gentlemen, if someone knows of a reputable shipping company, I'd be interested in that information as well.

Aircraft has the 912 ULS with 100 hours total. Log books and all documentation will be available for inspection.

IMG_8702.jpgIMG_8704.jpgIMG_9156.jpg

Default Re: Ferry S7 from Fairbanks, AK to Chicago, IL Area

Looks like a flight of a lifetime. 2500 miles, what's the range on this plane?

Airspace looks like a PIA leaving, noticed most of the airports are private in your area.

Course would require to go south to Anchorage and then the coast down to BC and so on.. Clear customs twice and then fly across the states... Would be a blast...

Never flown a KF, yet....

I think Paul from stick and rudder aviation in Idaho has done it . Try contacting him.

That was my first thought as well. He has flight instructors who may take that on if he doesn't.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I believe the popular route is to follow the AlCan Highway. Fuel stops along the way (gas stations), a really long emergency landing strip available.

Ralph