Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: worst stuck oil filter on a 912 ... ever.

Default worst stuck oil filter on a 912 ... ever.

My 912 UL has a stuck filter. Its on a model IV. I put it on by hand 50 hours ago, I can't believe how stuck it is. I was using a strap wrench and have damaged the filter already, so, wondering, who has had this issue. I haven't cracked it or creased it badly but short of taking off an exhaust pipe to get a better grip, I"m kinda stuck, any ideas?

Default Re: worst stuck oil filter on a 912 ... ever.

Many years back I to use a large channel lock pliers once. Learned not to over tighten from then on.
    Also in a last ditch effort, long Phillips screw driver punched through the filter can out towards the edge of the filter so you don’t get near the threaded part of the engine will give you lots of leverage. Kind of messy but like I said. Last ditch effort.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Are you trying to remove a Hot filter or Cold? Assuming it was cold, it May make a difference if its Hot. I have experienced this with my Truck. In my instance, the rubber gasket tore clean off of the filter, remained on the engine. Because I was laying on my back under the truck and my vision isn't good up close, I failed to see the gasket stuck to the engine and because I dropped the filter straight into the oil pan I never seen the missing gasket. Needless to say, I blew that out when I put a new filter on over that gasket and started the engine. Big mess.
    Last edited by efwd; 05-29-2019 at 05:35 AM.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

once in a while I get a good stuck one. take a big screw drive and jab it into the filter, if you can go through the whole thing and pop out the other side it helps, than hold pressure on it and it will finally let loose. when putting the new one on, make sure and coat the seal with fresh oil and only tighten 3/4 turn once it makes contact.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    ....make sure and coat the seal with fresh oil....
    If you coat the seal with DC4 (Dow Corning), you can likely avoid this issue in the future.
    Last edited by Jeff A; 05-29-2019 at 09:38 AM.
    Jeff Atkinson
    RV-8 - Flying since 2012
    Kitfox S7 Super Sport - Building since April 2021

Success!!!!
    Somebody said put some sandpaper around the oil filter to give the slipping wrench some purchase.
    That worked!
    Oil change complete. Doing a test Run UP in a couple minutes.
    Thank you all.

Sandpaper works; I personally use a strip of ScotchBrite, which also works well for installation if your hands are oily.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Daaaannnggg. Thats a great tip. Wish I had heard of that before..
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I end up using the screw driver because somehow I always leave the filter wrench at the shop, geee. yes I use that small size all the time at work.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I did this exact thing with our Honda Fit, started it up and heard a weird "pop", Big Mess is an understatement. Glad I have never
    done it with my plane ... I had to Sealcoat the driveway (asphalt) as there was no making it look nice after. looked like the Exxon
    Valdez had parked there ...

Not to mention I invented about ten variants of the F-word in the process as well ...

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Are you trying to remove a Hot filter or Cold? Assuming it was cold, it May make a difference if its Hot. I have experienced this with my Truck. In my instance, the rubber gasket tore clean off of the filter, remained on the engine. Because I was laying on my back under the truck and my vision isn't good up close, I failed to see the gasket stuck to the engine and because I dropped the filter straight into the oil pan I never seen the missing gasket. Needless to say, I blew that out when I put a new filter on over that gasket and started the engine. Big mess.
    Last edited by n85ae; 05-30-2019 at 07:45 PM.