Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Ranthane not curing

Default Ranthane not curing

I have a question/concern I’d like everyone’s input on. I’ve sprayed 3 colors now on my wings. All ranthane. Blue, yellow and black. Every time I inevitably catalyzed more paint then required so up till now The next day I was left with a bucket of hard paint. Basically a rubber color brick. That was the case with both yellow and blue. Now I sprayed black about two days ago and did everything the same. Sprayed the wing and the coat went on well and looks great and is hard (seeming) to the touch. But... the bucket of remaining black paint is still fully liquid. How could this be? Should I be concerned the paint on the wing isn’t cured? The bucket and Wong were in the same room for the whole process. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Ranthane not curing

Joe - I've experienced this phenomenon myself. I thought the word that described the property of curing or setting up when thin but not in volume was thixotropic but to be sure (before responding here) I looked it up and that, apparently, isn't the correct word. Anyhow - I'll bet if you give it a day or two more it will start to get rubbery. If you are really curious about the paint on your plane, do a tape test and see how well it does. (Thinking it is better to find a problem now rather than later.) Maybe others will weigh in with a more informed response and solve the mystery for both of us.

Default Re: Ranthane not curing

Cured. Took three days. Consolidated says it’s normal sometimes with different pigments.