Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Issues with threads on heater install

Default Issues with threads on heater install

I wad working on getting the cabin heater installed and have been running into many issues. Bolts too long, fans that need trimming, heater core that's 1/4 " wider on one end. The
    Problem I'm facing now is that the threads on the heater core seem totally wrong for the fittings provided.

One side won't even start the other sound go in slightly but then backing it out it got stuck. Now my fitting is slightly damaged.

Is this usual? Do I need to tap it? If so what's the thread size/ pitch? Does it matter? Something is for sure wrong here.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Default Re: Issues with threads on heater install

Definitely not usual. Those should be straight, matching threads. The seal is by the o-ring. Probably either the threads had been damaged on either the cooler or the fittings, or one or the other is incorrect. I would suspect the cooler, although the fitting that got messed up may need to be replaced now too. You need to contact the supplier.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I had to do some similar things. The bolts for retaining the fans were too long. I stacked washers to make up the difference. And I did have to trim the fans a little to get the nuts in there. Not a totally refined kit, but let me tell you, it's worth it. Makes the cabin toasty in no time.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I was once told by an IA to never test fit aluminum fittings without anti seize... It will gall and seize.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    I was once told by an IA to never test fit aluminum fittings without anti seize... It will gall and seize.

Ralph
    The thing is, in this instance, that those fittings should have been able to be easily screwed on. Granted, they should be lubricated before torquing, at the least, but they should be straight, matching threads with an o-ring seal based on the fitting you have, not a tapered pipe thread. Not being able to easily screw them on from the beginning, and the one going on just a short distance and then galling seems to probably indicate mismatched threads. Perhaps your cooler has tapered threads or is just a different thread (metric vs SAE, etc.). That's what it looks like to me anyway.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks all! Not been back in the garage yet to try and check things. A friend said one thing that is different from what he installed a few months ago is that it appears painted/ powder coated. Maybe that's an indication it's not the usual part?

912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Just curious, is this the heater kit offered by Kitfox??

Rick

Yes it is. Got it last August from them

912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

It's hard to see exactly but.. Same material threads need lubrication. Stainless is the worst but Aluminum can Gaul easily too. Looks like the cooler has the threads sand blasted somewhat from paint prep? This can make matters worst for the gaulling too.

Get a thread gauge and check to see how many threads are on each fitting. This will make it easier to get the correct fitting for the cooler ends.

Might need to take a tap and clean up the threads in the cooler now.. Tip, coat the tap in grease so that any shavings will stick to the tap and not go into the cooler.