Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynon ADAHRS

Default Dynon ADAHRS

I’m just starting installation of complete VFR Dynon HDX system. Instructions say ADAHRS must be level to within 1 degree in all three axis. It must also not be the low point to keep moisture out. Any suggestions on where to mount it? Location tips for other units in the system are welcome too!

Default Re: Dynon ADAHRS

Enter " mounting ADAHRS" in the search box and then go to "best location for mounting magnatometer" and there you'll
    get some ideas and see a picture of where it's (ADAHRS) mounted on factory planes and others.

Rick

The G3X has mounting bolt holes to attach the ADAHRS to the back of the Panel unit itself. Not sure if Dynon might as well?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by bumsteer View Post
    Enter " mounting ADAHRS" in the search box and then go to "best location for mounting magnatometer" and there you'll
    get some ideas and see a picture of where it's (ADAHRS) mounted on factory planes and others.

Rick
    Thanks Rick.
    Your response helped a lot, especially the pictures.
    I’m new to the forum but can tell it’s a great resource!
    Runwayrex

While I’m nowhere near selecting or installing what will go into my panel, the Dynon Skyview HDX is a strong possibility once I get to that point. I saw an article in Aviation Consumer that discussed installing an STC’d HDX in a Cessna 172, along with other gear for a total cost of $42K. That included labor, radios, and a couple of Garmin items, so it wasn’t possible to separate out what the HDX install itself cost.

Would you you mind sharing your costs for your VFR-only installation? It’s exactly what I’m likely to be doing in a year or two, and I’d like to plan for the costs of this part of the build.

Also, what other gear needed to be purchased beyond the HDX itself? I’m thinking about things like engine sensors, magnetometers, etc.

Any information you could share would be greatly appreciated!

JeffKinMT

I would recommend contacting Advanced Flight Systems. They are one of the sponsors of this sight. I just picked up my AFS package a week ago. You could call them and discuss what your wants/needs are and they will give you a quote.
    They are great people to work with.
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

I agree with Joe. There are so many variables all the way out to the kind of pitot tube you wish to use. Someone Like Advanced would be able to quickly decipher the type of flying you will do and make all the proper suggestions and then quote the cost.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

AFS is not a site sponsor. Dynon and MGL are.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Jeff, since your some time away from purchase and you may not know what you really want right now I will take a stab at answering your initial question. A panel with one flat screen, VFR, will likely run in the neighborhood of 11 to 12K. You can spend more when you add auto pilot, ADSB in and out or another screen. Things get more convoluted if you, for example, use a ULS engine. I have the 912iS Rotax which comes with all the sensors necessary to connect to the panel. The only sensor I had to buy was the fuel flow sensor. I don't know what you would have to buy for the ULS though. There are new options out there that weren't available when I bought my stuff. You could use the little electronic HSI that is out now in place of the larger screens but the panels have so much information in them that if the space is available in the console then I would get a screen. Annual subscription for updates are required for about $100 or so (Garmin). I think Dynon is free. Anyone who can straighten me out, feel free.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Dynon and AFS are one and the same now, although they do run as distinct business units within Dynon. A VFR AdvancedPanel from AFS with one 11" screen will run in the neighborhood of $17k to $21k depending on options. That's the whole enchilada: Powedercoated/Silk screened panel, switches, harnesses, EMS, engine sensors, fuses or ECBs, simplified wiring and integration with the Advanced Control Module, etc. It's very complete and delivered to you assembled and tested. I'm happy with mine.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS