Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Kitfox Fly-in Aug 23rd-25th

Default Re: 2019 Kitfox Fly-in Aug 23rd-25th

Howdy Kitfoxers! Looking forward to seeing you at the fly-in.
    We were asked to put this up as it is a private Ranch we are using.

CAUTION/WARNING: Rainbow Ranch, ID87, is a non-standard airstrip, you are using it at your own risk.

Be sure to review the PDF posted.. I have attached it here again.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

What are people's thoughts about the forecast winds? I've been keeping an eye on them hoping something changes. I can probably get in Friday before they become too challenging, and I'll have to depart pretty early Sunday before they kick up. But Saturday might be pretty rough for a flyout and camping on the field. I've been looking forward to the trip, but the forecast winds have me hemming and hawing a bit.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Well, the period of time that is concerning is Saturday upon return. From what we can decipher currently, it looks like it could be a quartering headwind for runway 25. Idaho Falls and McCarley could be our respite for a few hours. Sunset is late and winds look like they subside well before. I believe the return on Saturday is not that late in the afternoon, before the winds peak. I fly regularly with winds close to this but they are a bit more down the runway than what it appears it could be at the ranch.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

And I guess there is a hangar there we can use to stay out of the wind when hanging out at Rainbow. I airplane-camped with only a tent for shelter over last weekend in wind and dust and it got tiresome pretty quickly. I'll continue to look at the weather, but I'm leaning toward coming out. It's as much about meeting up with the community as it is about the flying for me.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Saturday is looking better, Sunday is getting more spicy. Right now, I’m leaning on waiting till the next one...

Kitfox Fly-In Folks
    Flew in early today to Idaho Falls and over flew Rainbow Ranch. No planes visible and decided to land at KIDA where we had a rental car reserved anyway. Cold front was passing thru and landed in 18 kt gusts at KIDA. I'm tied down at the Aero Mark FBO where they have no tie-down fees. We'll be driving over to Rainbow Ranch tomorrow. Local weather is iffy, so evaluate you're own piloting skills. We'll probably remain tied-down at KIDA and just see how things go. We're supposed to fly into Stanley after the Fly-In and (local weather reports state that...) winds are supposed to remain through part of Monday. Tuesday onward seem to be ok. Still glad to be here for the Fly-In!!

BobRS & Kitfox Kat
    N104Y, 914 Rotax

Glad to hear your safe Bob. Wish I didn't have to cancel last minute. Glad I did as you'll see in my post later. Have a great time. Fly safe.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I hope your bird is okay Eddie. I'm in suspense. Is this related to the warm temps?
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Here's a quick trip report for those that didn't make it out. Branden might correct me on the details.

24 airplanes showed up at Rainbow Ranch, which was generously offered up as the venue by Bob Hoff and his family. The grass was in immaculate condition, and camping on the field was pretty great. Friday afternoon it was fun to see old friends and make some new ones. Several people showed up who have deposits down waiting for kits. They had a lot of great questions, and I think if they learned one thing it's that there is a great community that will support them in their builds. Friday night after dinner Paul briefed the pilots on the Saturday morning flyout.

Saturday morning we had aircraft rolling out for the flyout by 7:30 AM. Paul planned a great itinerary that took us through some beautiful country, with gorgeous lakes, valleys, the Tetons, and then over Yellowstone. Branden served as cab driver, making a couple trips in an overstuffed crew car to get us to breakfast in Yellowstone. We hit a fun little aviation/war museum in Rexburg on our way back to Rainbow. The landings in Rexburg and Rainbow were a bit sporting as the winds had started to pick up, but we all managed pretty well. I got a couple great bounces in front of everyone.

The winds continued to get worse throughout Saturday night, well past midnight. I got concerned when one of my tent poles buckled inward. But dawn greeted us with dead calm, and instead I got those winds at my tail on the way home, posting 160 mph groundspeed at times at it wasn't even that bumpy. I think everyone departed pretty early in the AM on Sunday to get away before the winds got nasty.

The staff from Kitfox, Stick and Rudder, and the Hoff family did a great job putting on the event and I can't thank them enough. I look forward to seeing everyone again soon. I'll post some pictures below when I get some more time.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I didn't feel like curating and posting pictures individually, so here's a dump of what I took:

Kitfox Factory Fly-In 2019
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS