Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wing tip prep

Default Wing tip prep

Is any prep needed for the wingtips before painting top coat? Ranthane says it works great on fiberglass but should be primed. Does the white gel coat on the factory wingtips count as primer? Or should I use polyfiber epoxy primer first? Also is any additional uv protection needed where I have sanded through the white coating?

This of course also applies to the cowls.

Thanks

Default Re: Wing tip prep

I rubbed them down with scotch brite, alcohol, Tac Cloth, then primed. I have spots where the gel coat failed so there are factory applied patches of Poly Tone SuperFil. I would suggest primer.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Gelcoat is not a primer. All your fiberglass should get the treatment Eddie describes.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Default Wing tip prep

Great! Just polyfiber epoxy primer? Same stuff I used on wing spars?

Also any additional uv protection? Where sanding has been required and busted the white ?

I used Poly fibers epoxy primer because the manual recommends that when using Poly Tone paint. If you don't have the manual to refer to then I would give Poly Fiber a call because Im not certain that Ranthane uses the same primer but I believe it does. I didn't use anything to add addtl UV protection. If you need the Poly Fiber manual, I can send you one since I have acquired three of them somehow.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks Eddie, I actually have two as well but it’s not clear for ranthane which is the correct primer. It just says prime before hand. I confirmed with Waldo at consolidated that the polyfiber stuff is what they use for fiberglass and aluminum.