Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: ? about weight

Default ? about weight

I am new here, and this is my first post. I don't have a Kitfox yet, but have plans on getting one soon.

I apologize if this has been posted before. My Question is under the LSA rule the max gross weight of the plane can't be anymore then 1320 lbs. But under normal flight rules for the Kitfox can carry 1550 lbs. I am wondering if the prebuilt LSA can carry up to 1550 under normal (not LSA) operations? I am aware if anyone fly under Sport Pilot Rule is breaking the law if they carry more than 1320.

I was just wondering.....

Thanx,
    Drew

Default Re: ? about weight

I will try to give you an answer on this... or at least more to think on.

Yes, the Kitfox S7 gross is 1550.... and the factory LSA gross is 1320... and they are basically the same airframe.

However, and this is a big however. If for some reason you are flying a Kitfox LSA and regardless of your pilot rating, the aircraft is still certified at a gross weight of 1320. To operate it at over gross is in violation of it's Airworthiness Certificate.

Hope that helps.

Anyone else with thoughts on this?

Ralph
    Last edited by rv9ralph; 06-14-2019 at 09:32 PM.

What happens if you operate your LSA overweight? Well “probably” nothing unless you where to have an accident an then this would be an easy out for insurance.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    What happens if you operate your LSA overweight? Well “probably” nothing unless you where to have an accident an then this would be an easy out for insurance.
    Or you get ramp checked and Fed can do math.