Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Model II 582 to a 912

Default Model II 582 to a 912

Hello all,
    I recently acquired a model two with a 582. I would like to install a 912 for various reasons. I understand that weight and balance will be a concern and am prepared to deal with that. What would be the best way to go about doing this? I plan on calling kitfox soon, but there doesn't appear to be a lot of support for the earlier planes,ie. fwf kits etc. (understandably so)
    The plane currently has two wing tanks as well as the one gallon tank mounting behind the firewall which from what I have read would need to move aft.
    The plane has some other repairs that I am focusing on first, but at the same time I would like to begin acquiring what I need for the conversion.
    Thanks for any thoughts!

Default Re: Model II 582 to a 912

Well,
    Spoke with The nice folks at Kitfox and they indicated that they could make me an engine mount for the 912. Just need to track down a good engine..

For the record the first Kitfox to get a 912 was a Model 2. It worked quite well.

Glad to hear they were/are able to build you a mount for the plane. Please keep us posted as to your upgrade.

I definitely will post progress. I'll not be needing the 582 fwf that is on the plane. Any thoughts on the best way to move all of this along to someone that might need it? Obviously I would like to offset as much of the 912 conversion as possible, but I really don't know what a fair price is. The engine has 110 hours on a 2013 rebuild per the log books.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm working through this at the moment, engine on, cowls extended. Mounting new panel currently. Just about to make a general post for advice on panel mounting in a Chrome Moly frame, coming from RV background. Figure it's been done before. Feel free to PM me with question re conversion I might be able to answer a couple of questions from what I've learnt on the journey so far.

Cheers,

Rob.

FYI - Using engine mount off a MK4 bolted straight up with standard firewall mod for starter motor clearance. You may or may not be so lucky I was.

532 -> 912

Lipol battery easiest weight loss, remove plastic header tank and full light glass panel to negate some weight.

I'll see what the W&B comes out at the end, initially will ad weight to tail to Ballance then look at duplicating modified/extended original cowl in CF.

I'm aiming to get overall weight gain down around 12pounds is current estimate without CF cowl and more extreme weight loss efforts. At the end of the day only really want 2 up 2 hrs flight + reserves (would be happy with an hr + res) Most of the time it will be solo and if long trip required for ferrying well thats another 100l approx heaps of range. Or luggage.

This is all guestamates will find out when it's on the scales.

On the wish list for progressive upgrades is extend/enlarge the rudder, + CF cowl/wing tips/seat pan, and panel for further weight reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by MKIIRob View Post
    I'm working through this at the moment, engine on, cowls extended. Mounting new panel currently. Just about to make a general post for advice on panel mounting in a Chrome Moly frame, coming from RV background. Figure it's been done before. Feel free to PM me with question re conversion I might be able to answer a couple of questions from what I've learnt on the journey so far.

Cheers,

Rob.