Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: longevity of an older 912

Default longevity of an older 912

Hello. I’m new to Rotax engines, new to this forum, but not new to general aviation. I’ve been lurking here for awhile trying to get smart on Rotax engines. Please bare with my rookie questions.

I am seriously considering buying an EA-B airplane built in 2006 that has a 912 ULS with a 1500 hour TBO. The service bulletins indicate that it requires a new case to increase the TBO to 2000. It currently has 1200 hours on the engine.
    1. Any significant issues I should know about an engine of this vintage?
    2. Am I taking a big risk buying a 912 with this many hours?
    3. Anything particular to look for on this engine when I go to look at the airplane?

Thanks in advance for any education you can give me before I commit to this purchase.

The serial number of the engine is: 5643446
    The serial number of the crankcase is: 20647

Default Re: longevity of an older 912

Squelch,

I think your primary risk is economic - depends on the price of the plane and the engine - paying too much for a high hour engine might not cost out too well; however, if it is a bargain, probably an OK deal - depending on current condition.

The best place to go to become familiar with health and welfare of a Rotax engine is the Rotax owner site.

Located at: https://www.rotax-owner.com/en/

All of the manuals, service bulletins, maintenance, etc are there; and, you can look up your engine a number of ways including by serial number.

There are a number of time in service routine maintenance items; which if performed, should be in the engine logs. One of the bigger ones, I believer, is gearbox teardown which I think is a 600 hour item. If you have 1200 hours, it's time for the second one of those, if it hasn't been done already. The 5 year rubber replacement is about a $1,000 proposition if it has not been done.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Default Re: longevity of an older 912

Google "rotax crankcase fretting" and read up on the potential issues. There is much good information related to engines of your vintage and crankcase number range. Chances are all is good with that many hours on it already.
    Kitfox Sport TW
    Colorado