Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lycoming 0-320 in a kitfox 7

Default Re: Lycoming 0-320 in a kitfox 7

Funny thing about a "lycosaur" vs any other engine. If properly balanced, the Plane doesn"t give a single hoot what engine is on the front. HOWEVER at gross it will care how much power you have. I think people tend to get too wrapped around the axle about certain things.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

I think that when folks say "it will ruin your airplane" they mean usable load capacity rather than anything performance related. If your flying "light sport" at 1320 gross then an 0-320 will ruin any ability to fly with a passenger/luggage and any reasonable amount of fuel. If you register at 1550 gross things are much better but still not a lot left for baggage/camping gear.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by Denalifox View Post
    Funny thing about a "lycosaur" vs any other engine. If properly balanced, the Plane doesn"t give a single hoot what engine is on the front. HOWEVER at gross it will care how much power you have. I think people tend to get too wrapped around the axle about certain things.
    Good morning my friends,
    It is nice to see the 0-320 conversation. I am building a SS7, E3D 160 h.p. 0-320. Skinning the fuselage now, wings and tail done , nothing painted. Doing what I want as far as keeping it as light as possible, but building it as I intended. I have the shock monster, t3 tail ,29's ..... so I should have some empty weight numbers in a couple months after I paint and reassemble. I did weigh it with engine, cowl, gear, tail feathers, seat, modified extra length baggage, without the wings and struts on and was at 580 lbs., add the wings and all the paint and minimal instruments????? Glad to see your posts, Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Good morning my friends,
    It is nice to see the 0-320 conversation. I am building a SS7, E3D 160 h.p. 0-320. Skinning the fuselage now, wings and tail done , nothing painted. Doing what I want as far as keeping it as light as possible, but building it as I intended. I have the shock monster, t3 tail ,29's ..... so I should have some empty weight numbers in a couple months after I paint and reassemble. I did weigh it with engine, cowl, gear, tail feathers, seat, modified extra length baggage, without the wings and struts on and was at 580 lbs., add the wings and all the paint and minimal instruments????? Glad to see your posts, Billy
    I have yet to see any mounted. happen to have any under cowl pictures?

Heres some pics of my install using factory dynafocal mount. Engine sets pretty close to the firewall so a 90 deg oil filter adapter is handy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Quote Originally Posted by jmodguy View Post
    Heres some pics of my install using factory dynafocal mount. Engine sets pretty close to the firewall so a 90 deg oil filter adapter is handy.
    That sure is tight, doesn't look like my Atlee Dodge hot rod exhaust will work. bummer

Bah! Just put four straight pipes through the bottom cowling. Lots of glorious noise and impressive flames at night!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    Bah! Just put four straight pipes through the bottom cowling. Lots of glorious noise and impressive flames at night!
    I like the way you think. haha. "allow me to sing you the song of my people"

The 4-1 header makes a bit o’ noise on its own👍 No muffler for me
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Quote Originally Posted by jmodguy View Post
    My typical takeoff is 1500-2000’/min and I have seen 2600’/min. The airplane has more.
    When I fly with Mountain Fox here in Indy I’m burning 2.5-3 gph. He is running a 912is and whirlwind 3 blade on a -7.
    My prop is pitched at 14 degrees for climb. I cruise about 110-115mph at @5gph. I plan to add a couple degrees to see if I can get a faster cruise and keep some of the takeoff performance.

I'm really wondering if you typed the correct numbers? Every 320 I've ever run is around 8gph at 65%. You did say when flying with someone else, so possibly you have it throttled waaaay back? Also, do you have mods to it, i.e. FI, PMag, etc? I don't really expect to see 5gph on my 320/KF7 running over 100mph. Great news if achievable...

Cobb