Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 914 Temps?

Default Re: 914 Temps?

Josh - FWIW, my CHTs were running a little high and it troubled me. I have a 912ULS of course, so it’s a little like comparing apples to oranges. Anyway, I ended up gluing a piece of thick, red silicone foam rubber to the cowl directly under the radiator. It’s then compressed slightly to form a good seal and prevent air from taking the path of least resistance and flowing under instead of through the radiator. My temps dropped considerably.

Stacked coils are common on cars of course, but the condenser for the a/c system, which is generally in front of the radiator, is usually a very thin coil which presents minimal affect on the radiator’s operation. I’m not a big fan of the way those particular oil coolers are mounted in our newer Kitfoxes, but as others have said it does usually seem to work. My oil temps are very good under all conditions, but it’s a shame to have to pre-heat the air entering the radiator.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Interesting about "Jeff Perdue". Where did he move it to and was this on a 7ss?
    HIs was a factory built SS7. He added the oil cooler to the side of the cowl with a NACA and a door. His CHT's dropped 60 deg.

John, I do have a piece of foam to block the air on the bottom but I can improve on it. Once I move my Oil cooler, I'll be making some adjustments to the sealing of the rad.

I''ll keep everyone in the loop of my findings.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Desertfox1 flew his 914 Kitfox yesterday morning. Asked what his conditions and temps were.
    Outside temp about 90F. Long climb out @ 1500’ minute pulling just under 40” M.P.
    Said oil temp never above 190F.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Desertfox1 flew his 914 Kitfox yesterday morning. Asked what his conditions and temps were.
    Outside temp about 90F. Long climb out @ 1500’ minute pulling just under 40” M.P.
    Said oil temp never above 190F.
    Wow! I wish I could do that! Did he do anything special to improve cooling? I wonder how much has to do with density altitude. I have 20-25% less cooling air flowing up here.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

[Why is the oil PSI so low?

[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    [Why is the oil PSI so low?

It's at the end of a long climb where it got pretty warm and it's just cooling off. It does tend to run near the bottom of the green when the engine is at normal temps though.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Mine runs around 52 psi most of he time is why I asked. It has been so cold and wet this year around here I only just removed the last of 90% of the tape off my oil cooler yesterday. Many of the grass airports are still too wet for use.

Mine fluctuates with oil temp. When I'm in the 240 range it's low. When I'm cold it's around 60
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thoughts on running a larger oil cooler in place of the radiator and locating a smaller radiator under the gearbox? Seems like with the turbo, oil temps are of most concern and water temps might be slightly more 'forgiving' when airflow and radiator size are an issue??
    Dustin
    915is/AP430 powered Kitfox SS7

Water temps are way more critical. And you don’t want oil too cool either.

If the coolant boils over in flight at 255-260ish you are in big big trouble.

If oil hits 275+ it starts to breakdown but all you need to do is an oil change
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3