Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 914 oil lines and fittings.

Default 914 oil lines and fittings.

Okay, I am stumped. Kitfox just sent me 3 of the 37 degree flared elbows for the oil lines. The instruction manual doesn’t show where the three fittings go (there is a picture, but it only shows one of them). There are two ports on the oil tank, one on the oil pump, and one at the bottom of the crankcase. I just spoke with Heather and she said they always ship 3 with the kits. So, considering that there are 4 connections to be made, where do the three elbows go? Is the remaining fitting a strait fitting with a 37 degree flare?

Also, does anyone have any pictures and advice on the best routing for the oil lines? I will upload pictures when I get out to the garage and snap a few photos.

Default Re: 914 oil lines and fittings.

OK, My oil tank already had finings so I'm not sure if I totally understand what you're talking about but I'll try to describe how my oil lines go. Off the sump is a flared fitting (Mine is 90deg)and it goes to my oil cooler. From my oil cooler it runs to a flared line going into the engine. Coming out of the engine is a banjo fitting and then it runs into a flared fitting going into the oil sump.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Here are the fittings. The manual doesn’t say where they go, and there is only 3. Not sure what the 4th fitting should look like. The yellow cap is the banjo fitting on the bottom of the crankcase. I put one on the top of the oil tank, and am holding the other that I also put in the top of the oil tank.

How much torque on the fittings when I figure out where they go? Josh, how did you route your lines?
    Last edited by Flyboy66; 05-17-2019 at 06:22 PM.

You've got it-the 3 90 deg fittings: Two on top of oil tank, one on the oil pump. The banjo on the bottom takes a straight fitting.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Alright, that one solved. I will have to get KF to send me one so I can finish up. Next question: how much clearance between the exhaust pipes/muffler, cylinders, and the firesleeve that protects the oil lines?

I was told by Kitfox that 1" is minimum, of course more is better. I have two places where my clearance (firesleeve to exhaust pipe) is 1"; so far so good after 750 hours. Some guys make a small metal heat shield, but I have not done that.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I had an oil line melt through. Even though Rotax doesn’t recommend it, I switched to the front pick up. I figured a tiny bit more oil in the case wasn’t as bad as a burst line. I’m still having trouble posting pictures from my phone but I’ll try to show you how I did everything when I get home tonight
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Man, the oil lines are a bugger. I cut the line for the tank to left side of oil cooler. It won’t need fire sleeve, so I figured I would install it now. It went on the elbow fitting with some effort, but the fitting on the oil cooler is not cooperating. It’s half on. I can’t remove it, or get it to go on further. Are there any tricks, or is it just a challenge?

I also looked at the banjo fitting in the crankcase bottom. It is designed for a 37 degree fitting connection. It seems to be pointed very close to one of the exhaust pipes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Flyboy66; 05-18-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Easiest trick is to put it in boiling water to soften the end up and then push it on. Don’t forget your clamp. You may have to cut off that last bit of hose to remove it if it’s stuck
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

The 914's return oil line is difficult to keep far from the exhaust. I don't have a good picture, but it's possible. Also, my EAA tech counselors suggested firesleeve on all oil and fuel lines under the cowl.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS