Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 914 oil lines and fittings.

Default Re: 914 oil lines and fittings.

I’ve found a little silicone spray on the hose will help immensely getting a hose fitted.
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

My EAA Tech Counselor, who happens to be my DAR also made me use fire sleeve. In fact, one of my sleeve was slightly short. He could see the hose itself, so he made me replace it. I used motor oil to slip them on.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

So, can the hose clamp be visible, or did he want the fire sleeve to cover the hose clamp?

You won’t need clamps if you use the proper “Push-Loc” fittings & hose, Steve. Google it... you’ll get a ton of info & tips about how to use it.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

John, the oil cooler has the push loc fitting, but the oil tank has the stainless elbow, that I assume would need a hose clamp?

If there is a hose clamp, is it expected to be covered by fire sleeve, or just butting against it?

The stainless elbows are probably Push-Loc also. Mine were. You’ll need to make sure one way or the other. If you would post a picture of one I could probably tell you what you have.

I’ve seen it done both ways, but it would be best & makes the most sense to cover the clamp portion of the hose also. Some people have also used hose clamps with the Push-Locs, but it’s not needed, nor recommended. Again, that’s provided the proper hose is used with the fittings.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

John, go back to post #3 and you will see his fittings.
    I brought the fire sleeve to the hose clamp, not over it. I secured the fire sleeve with stainless steel wire ties I found at Harbor Freight. They are far less expensive than those I bought at AS&S that require a special tool to install. The tool worked on making my wire ties really secure.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks, Eddie. Yes, those are Push-Loc fittings.

I did the same as you, but I got my S.S. wire ties at Home Depot (or Lowes?). I’ve also not covered the clamps sometimes.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    My EAA Tech Counselor, who happens to be my DAR also made me use fire sleeve.
    Just as a little background - The sleeve does protect your lines from hot components, but it's called firesleeve because it will buy some time before flame will penetrate it and melt your lines. You want that time to recognize that you have a fire, and get the engine shut down before you start pumping fuel and oil onto the fire. The Kitfox design does not do a very good job of protecting the cabin from an engine fire. The fiberglass cowls will burn right past the firewall, and melt your windshield in a hurry. the firewall itself will glow red hot, and if you used the plastic brake lines that came with your kit like I did, the hot firewall will melt the lines and ignite the hydraulic fluid, setting you on fire. That firesleeve can give you several minutes of standoff time before your fuel or oil systems make a bad situation much, much worse. While the statistics show that in-flight fires are pretty rare, I think the reasoning behind sleeving all the lines is sound.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Does anyone see anything concerning about the oil lines?
    Last edited by Flyboy66; 05-23-2019 at 02:18 PM.