Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: GSC upgrade

Default GSC upgrade

I have just finished my phase I flight testing using the originally supplied GSC prop. It worked okay but listening to the tribal knowledge here I knew I could and would want to do better. Looking to avoid spending very much on this project I was certainly not going to buy any IFA and planned to get the lowest priced recommendation, a two blade medium IVO.
    As luck would have it I found an unused three blade ultralight IVO for $50! (hangar clear-out)
    I know that there is an ongoing service letter to preflight, inspect, retorque but for the price?!
    This prop has made a very noticeable change in climb, cruise and smoothness. Lucky me!
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!

Default Re: GSC upgrade

Great find Jon. I did that same prop change on my first Kitfox, a model 3 with a Rotax 912 80 hp. Scrapped the GSC.
    With the in-flight and 3 blades, the new Ivo gave me 20 mph more in cruise and climbed about 400 ft. per minute more and proved to be smoother also. Approaching 2,300 hours flying behind Ivo props now.

*** If you ever get a nick on one of your blades you can do an easy infield repair with some baking soda and super glue and a file.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Tell me more about baking soda and super glue repair.

Works good for little nicks in most composite props.
    Bring prop blade that needs repair up level with the ground. Put a pinch of baking soda in the nick then drop a couple drops of super glue onto the little “pile” of backing soda. Let it harden for a couple minutes then reshape to the contour of the leading edge of the blade with a file. Try not to glue your fingers together or to the prop blade.😲 Obviously won’t fix a prop strike but OK for little rock divots. Pretty up the repair with a dab of touch up paint.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Kind of like instant epoxy. It does work! Sometimes I have put a bit of tape on the blade to keep the baking soda in place as well till I hit it with the super glue. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Works good for little nicks in most composite props...
    THANKS
    That is a great tip.