Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Inspection rings??

Default Inspection rings??

I'm ever so close to finish covering one of my wing panels and starting to think about (maybe over thinking) adding inspection rings. Since there are no moving parts inside and I can get to my pitot tube and magnetometer through the wing tip(s) I thought I'd better ask those that have gone before me - - - how many inspection rings did you install. And where? And why? Thanks, Darrel

Default Re: Inspection rings??

One in each wing right at the root where the fuel tank fitting is; in case I ever need to remove and clean the finger strainers. Another out between the lift strut brackets to be able to inspect those, and also to get at my pitot tube.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

DW,

Each of us has reasons why we include or exclude inspection rings in certain places. There are a few thoughts people consider with this. 1) Inspection rings are really, really cheap 2) They are real easy to put in during the process of covering and likely to injure one's religion if missed and needed later 3) Don't have to cut the hole unless needed later.

For sure, internal moving parts and access to fasteners is important. After working on some old piper tube and fabric airplanes, it became apparent to me that long term a person might want access to additional areas for the purpose of inspection (corrosion/dropped a wrench down there/bird found the airplane good for a nest/busted pitot plumbing/etc)

So, ended up installing rings in 6 bays in the wing, excluding the outboard bay and the two the fuel tank occupied. Also made an access point for the finger strainers like Jim mentioned - this would be a bearcat if a person could not get into that point; although I went with a rectangular fabricated aluminum cover instead of an inspection ring.

On the other hand, early kitfoxes called for even permanently attaching the wing tip including covering over the seam.

All depends on what a person thinks about what they might run into in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Thanks Jim and Dave. What's one more order at ACS? It sure won't be the last one.

Cheers, Darrel

I have inspection panels at the fuel tank outlets and both front and rear spar attachment points to the wing struts. These are all al alloy access panels with al alloy backup surrounds underneath the fabric. Each surround has anchor nuts. In addition, I have two circular doily access holes in each wing as well. Some photos attached of the metal access panel areas before covering.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David
    SS7 Builder

Thanks David47 - I wish I had asked for inputs prior to getting to the point where I was - might have followed your lead. As it is - I did get put inspection panels on six bays. I just know that if I hadn't I will some day wish I had. On the other hand, I hope having them in is decent insurance that they won't be needed.

Inspection rings on rt wing installed small.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whisky View Post
    ......I just know that if I hadn't I will some day wish I had. On the other hand, I hope having them in is decent insurance that they won't be needed. ...
    You can never have too many inspection holes/panels .... 6 in each wing is great.
    David
    SS7 Builder