Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lower cowl going on

Default Re: Lower cowl going on

The cowls are trimmed. I have a little sanding to make the edges uniform, but was surprised how easy it was for a knucklehead like me. Yes, it took a number of install, measure, remove, trim...repeat. But it is done.

Thanks to this thread, I think I have a handle on this. Appreciate more tip's and pic's if you got them.

This pic is before trimming.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

I have to do some minor epoxy work to smooth things out around the air inlets but I got it where it needs to be!

After re-reading the manual and other posts and pic's. I temporarily bolted my 2" extension and my spinner backplate.
    I temporarily glued two 1/4" pieces of wood spacers to the front of the lower cowl
    I leveled the plane for and aft and set the lower cowl to the aircraft and moved the cowling forward so the 1/4 spacers were just touching the backplate of the spinner.
    When I placed the top cowl on it was apparent that A LOT of material would have to be removed. Well over an inch had to be removed from the FRONT of the top cowl. I removed the tabs as they were never going to fit no mater what I did. That made adjusting the top much easier. I'll add aluminum tabs when all is done. I did have to clean up the joggle transition in the front of the lower cowl. Also trimmed the inner opening risers on the lower cowl where the tabs used to be.
    After all this, I just kept removing material mostly from the top cowl, FRONT ONLY and a little from the front sides just so it matched with the forward joggle line.
    Now that top is in line with the spinner plate, I can now finalize the side and rear cuts.

Whew!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint