Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Can You Go Backwards on Weight for Registration to Fall Under Light Sport?

Default Can You Go Backwards on Weight for Registration to Fall Under Light Sport?

Hi does anyone know if you can change the registration GW on a Kitfox 5 from 1550 where it is registered now, down to 1320 to fall under Light Sport? I called the FAA but the examiner didn't give me a warm and fuzzy that she knew for sure. I thought I read somewhere you can't go up but can you go backwards? Is this something Kitfox could help me with? Thanks.

Default Re: Can You Go Backwards on Weight for Registration to Fall Under Light Sport?

I believe you have it backwards. I know for sure you are not able to decrease the gross weight of the plane to fit the light sport rule. Im pretty sure you can enter phase one again and increase the weight. I would have registered mine at 1550 if I were able to decrease it later. No Joy.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Default Re: Can You Go Backwards on Weight for Registration to Fall Under Light Sport?

My understanding is same as Eddie's.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I just consulted my magic 8 ball and it said "outlook not good"

The long, short and only answer is: “No.”
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

No ! NO No No...or Yes.
    According to the FA, once a registered plane has been operated outside of the Light sport rules (Gross over 1320lbs, Stall speed above 52 mph) it can never be operated as a "light sport" in the future. However,,,,, you could de-register the plane, take it apart, then "build it" as a 1320 gross plane, get it re-N-numbered and fly off a new 40 hours. How much the plane has to come apart before putting it back together again?...well... Are you good a photo shop? (just kidding).
    That is TBD by the FA I suppose.
    Roge
    r

There is some scuttlebutt going around that the LSA parameters will be changing but, it's not likely it will be soon. It may be that the gross weight will be changed to a formula that allows higher GW if the other parameters are met... i.e. does 300 lbs. make that much difference if the stall speed is still 52mph? This makes senses to me and would allow C150s and C172s and several other planes we all learned to fly in to qualify as LSA. Maybe it will happen, maybe not.

No, you can not go backwards from 1550 to 1320.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

The FAR 1.1 definition of light sport begins (emphasis added):

Light-sport aircraft means an aircraft, other than a helicopter or powered-lift that, since its original certification, has continued to meet the following...

So, you can reduce the weight, but that will not a light-sport make.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS