Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Compressors

Default Re: Compressors

I have to agree with James , and while you might choke on the price of the HVLP sprayer as I did when I bought mine many years ago, here are some points to consider to justify it. The fact that you are willing to paint your project yourself alone is already saving you money. Farming out the painting to a shop is gonna cost a whole lot more than the purchase price of your spray rig and paint. Convenience-I didn't want to have to be running parts to a paint shop willy nilly as I finished them during the build. I was able to paint stuff on my schedule during the build which was a real asset during the whole process. Satisfaction- while my paint job may be a 5 or 10 footer if you know what I mean, I was not building a Lindy award winner , but a plane I could be proud of that was a nice flier and that is what I ended up with. At the end of your project I suspect you could sell the spray rig for a good buck on barnstormers to keep your choking to a minimum. This paint job is 16 years old. Bruce N199CL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    2HP is not doing fine, it's struggling to keep up and likely isn't keeping up...
    Haha I know it’s not perfect but what I meant was with some waiting to let the compressor keep up I can spray polystuff with no visible detriment to the finish. I usually spray three bays and then wait for the compressor to shut off. I see no visible transitions. Now I wasn’t planning on spraying the top coats with this setup and hence the thread.... I’m thinking it’s most cost efficient to buy three compressors and t them together... that way the compressors alone can keep up with the volume 12 cfm and 60 gallon tank.... is there an issue with this line of thought? I can easily resell the compressors when I’m done.

Maybe? I think if you are linking four 2hp 20 gallon compressors in series all you wind up with is an 80 gallon 2hp compressor? And you still have dirty and now much wetter air to deal with.
    James T
    Valrico, FL

If you are going to use multiple compressors, I would think you would hook them up in parallel. Then the reservoir volume and HP would be additive. Correct size piping where they join would be very important also.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

And how much house current do you need to run 4 compressors??? 🧐
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Ok I borrowed a turbine! Man this thing is sweet! So much better and so much less mist!

I was about to offer you mine with the promise to return it when you were done! I'm glad to hear it's working for you.
    James T
    Valrico, FL

James that would have been very kind of you! This one is working out great! Such a pleasure to shoot with... should have done this from the start.... If I was to do it again I would have skipped purchasing the compressor and just paid the extra for one of these bad boys! So much less over spray/mist and a much nicer coat. Highly suggested!!

Interesting. I have not ever had too much luck with mine. I use it to spray various stuff but hadn't considered using mine on the plane. I should have tried it with the Poly Tone. I was not able to avoid orange peel in the past but then again it was always a different paint. God knows I had plenty of overspray in the air when I did my fiberglass.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I haven't seen orange peel yet but I haven't sprayed topcoat (ran thane) yet. Also haven't shot on anything but fabric....