Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compressors

Default Compressors

I currently have a 4.8 cfm compressor that seems to be doing the trick. I’m up to silver coats on the wings and soon will be laying a white coat of polytone. It works well for the poly fiber coats but I do then to do a lot of waiting in the booth for the pressure to catch up. I tend to do two wing bays at a time. This hasn’t been a problem because the poly fiber stuff blends so well I don’t end up seeing a line between bays.

Now I’ve heard the top coats. Ranthane is what I’m using. Should be sprayed in one pass without delay. Otherwise you will see transitions in the color. What has everyone’s experience been? Is there a compressor that won’t break the bank that would keep up with the gun? I haven’t been able to find anything affordable? I’m considering “Y”ing together a few less expensive compressors...

Default Re: Compressors

I don't have a compressor suggestion (other than the aviation department at the local "tool freight" store), but rather than teeing 2 compressors together, have you though about teeing several accumulators/tanks together? It'd be a much cheaper route than multiple compressors...

Depending on weather and your timeline, you might be able to rent one.

Renting is a good idea! Ill look around. I currently have a 20 gallon tank. In order to do a whole wing I think I would need 80 plus gallons.

Don't have personal experience, but I've heard that HVLP is the preferred way to spray these coatings.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I used a Craftsman 20gal to apply polytone and I used the HVLP gun without an ounce of trouble that I recall. Eh, I didn't spray great big wings either though. Oratex, so the only thing I sprayed was all the fiberglass, plastic and invasion stripes.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I use an Iwata Supernova HVLP and a 5 hp dual stage 80 gal compressor and it was working pretty hard to keep up. Rent it if you can’t buy it.
    make sure you have proper filters, water traps etc.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Joe,
    You have to match the CFM requirement of the spay gun to the CFM output the compressor. Even is you rent one, you have to make sure the compressor output is in excess of the gun requirement.

Also, piston compressors are more efficient than oilless.

Ralph

Holy .... 80 gallons and 5 HP! That’s what I was concerned about the 20 gallon 2 HP is doing fine with the poly stuff.... almost considering sticking with poly tone..

2HP is not doing fine, it's struggling to keep up and likely isn't keeping up. It's just that the lacquer-like spray qualities of poly-spray/poly-tone are masking your compressors limitations. An 80 gallon 5hp compressor is considered the minimum for spraying urethanes. And you still have to clean up the air.

You will not get good results spraying polyurethane with (2hp compressor) it.

Do yourself a favor and get one of these http://www.axispro.com/. Your spray problems will be over. Always clean, dry consistent pressure. Practice with it and learn it's ways and you'll get good results.
    James T
    Valrico, FL