Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IVO IFA for ul 80hp

Default IVO IFA for ul 80hp

I recently purchased a IVO IFA prop. It's a Ultra Light patriot prop that is the extra pitched version. Which means it provides a larger amount of bite than the other version.

I can seem to be able to get past 5100 rpm on the ground. I'm definitely fully pitched out till the stops.

What IVO IFA prop do you guys use? It flies fine and is better than the gsc prop but kind of bummed I cant get the full rpm range out of it.

Default Re: IVO IFA for ul 80hp

I think I would call IVO and ask what they suggest. I'm guessing they will say to shorten the prop. I do have a 3 blade RH IVO medium in flight adjustable complete with switches and wiring listed on barnstormers right now for $1750. It's a 74" which could be run as a two blade on the 80 HP 912 I'm guessing, or cut down and used with all 3 blades. Prop has never been used. JImChuk

Nope if you pull one blade and go with two it will give you the RPM you want. And you want two blade any way not three that's one more surface you are pulling thru the air.

So I called IVO. I originally had the prop at 72" and couldn't get past 4900RPM on the ground. They stated this is to big, I'm over propped and I needed to cut it down to 70". I was skeptical that I was going to get 900 RPM out of a 2" reduction. But I cut it down to 70". I now max out at like 5000-5100 on the ground.

I called IVO again and they restated that this prop (High pitch, ultra light, patriot, 70") is exactly what is recommended for a 912 UL 80HP.

I flew it and on take off I don't get much past 5200 rpm at 60MPH climb. It will rev up higher with the nose down at WOT.

But everything that this prop is doing is telling me it's over propped. I'm just not sure what to do. Cause IVO is saying it's the right thing but I can't get even get past 5200 rpm on the take off roll.

This should be the UL version and if I went to the Medium I think it would just get worse.

Also I was thinking about doing the 2 bladed version but heard that can increase vibs.

I did it on mine and it is as smooth as the 3 blade was but made 5800 RPMs ?? try it not a big deal to take one off and see how it works for you. What maybe 30 min job to do ??

Did you see it have any issues climbing or anything?

Were you using a 2 blade medium or UL?

no issue in fact it climb better a lot better. The third blade is a waste of air space and when you pull it off you will not put it back on .

Is it a UL or medium?

What ratio gearbox do you have as the high pitch suits the 2.4 ratio. The early 912 use a different ratio.I am trying to get a high pitch prop from ivo as my old engine had a 2.7? Now I redline at 75%throttle.

I believe my ratio is 2.273:1.