Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Use of 100 LL with 912 ULS

Default Re: Use of 100 LL with 912 ULS

Here is what I received from Swift fuels today, these prices are for delivery to my airport in central Pa.
    Fuel Products:UL 165 8.50 1,402.50
    Taxes & Fees:FAE 165 0.194 32.01
    Taxes & Fees:PAS 165 0.06 9.90
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    --------------------------------------
    Total: $1,444.41--this covers the 3 new 55gal drums, fuel and delivery $8.75/gal

This quote is for (3) 55-gallon drums of UL94 delivered. Unit price
    includes the cost of delivery and an additional surcharge for new steel
    drums.

Product or Activ Quantity Unit Cost (USD) Total (USD)
    Fuel Products:UL 350 7.00 2,450.00
    Taxes & Fees:FAE 350 0.194 67.90
    Taxes & Fees:PAS 350 0.06 21.00
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    --------------------------------------
    Total: $2,538.90

This quote is for 350 gallons of UL94 delivered. Unit price includes cost
    of delivery. Quote contingent upon return of tote within 30 days.
    $7.25 per gal.

This may be higher than 100ll fuels near you, it is much higher than autogas but I have been burning this fuel now for over a year and there is no worry about lead or fuel lines and the tanks. The best option would be an airport that is getting it in bulk-500 gal or more. This quote is higher than what I paid for the last 350gal tote by about $2.00 per gal. I have sent an email back to find why the increase from last year. I generally burn about 200 gal per year.

Wow, that's expensive! Last I checked, 100LL was $4.59/gal. at a local airport, and 91 octane ethanol-free mogas was over a dollar cheaper than that at my supplier. There was so much talk from the Swift Fuel guys at Oshkosh every year that their product would be cheaper than 100LL. I thought at the time... "yeah, sure."
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

YIKES and bummer, this may be why none of the local airports want to bring the stuff in.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Wow, that's expensive! Last I checked, 100LL was $4.59/gal. at a local airport, and 91 octane ethanol-free mogas was over a dollar cheaper than that at my supplier. There was so much talk from the Swift Fuel guys at Oshkosh every year that their product would be cheaper than 100LL. I thought at the time... "yeah, sure."
    Swift started out at a reasonable price in our neighborhood @ the airports that converted to it. Didn't last long - raised the prices drastically after a short while. Frankly, I see this as the old marketing ploy - "Lowball 'em to start, once they are using, raise the price".

It's complicated - not a big market and volume matters.

I suppose it depends on where you choose to compare - Right now I can find Minnesota 100LL for $8.08 at KMSP; or, $3.99 at KROS.

I'd love to use Swift; but it is not economically feasable. Corn free 91 Autogas is still the best choice around here to avoid lead poisoning a Rotax.

"Yeah, Sure, 'ya 'Betcha"
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

It is disappointing as I really like the fuel but the price is about $2.00 more per gal than the last delivery of 350gal. I talked with Lockwood and it is all they use in the Rotax engines at their flight school. For me, I will not use auto gas for several reasons, mixes vary and when I had to use it my 100 Rotax did not run as smooth and temps were not consistent. With 100LL using Decland or similar I had smoother runs more constant temps. With Swift once again a smoother run, better startups, and temps did not vary from day to day.

I will probably bite the bullet and order their fuel.

I believe fuel loses its octane fairly quickly. How would you store that much and keep the octane up?

I could be wrong, but I believe the Swift fuel is similar to 100LL in that regard and is pretty stable... probably be fine for a year or more. Just a guess.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

According to Swift their fuel will hold to 94 even if stored outside in the sunlight in their 350gal tote for 18-24 months. Seeing that we keep the fuel inside a building in sealed 100gal fuel tanks I'm sure the octane will be fine. I do know auto fuel will lose octane if just a few short weeks.

I have not yet ordered our second tank, the price is a bit hard to swallow.