Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Use of 100 LL with 912 ULS

Default Re: Use of 100 LL with 912 ULS

I been burning 91oct with no alki. now with the price of fuel going up I might go back to burning with alki. it never hurt my engine. I change oil every 50hrs and replace the filter. I always pull the top off the tank to clean it out and fill to within about a 1/2 inch from top. very easy to do, I never replace the o ring. I have a flap that I pull out on and the clamp comes off, pull the inside out and set to the side with a rag under it. I don't disconnect any hoses. the screen inside I pull out and put in a pan on the floor. I take a suck gun and suck out the fluid and put it into a 1 gal jug left over from the previous oil. I get down to the bottom plate and pull that out and suck out the rest of the oil. I take a couple blue rags (Costco) and wipe it out looking for any particles, so far none. I put oil in the tank to the level it was when I took the top off. I now pull off the filter and take the new one and fill it up with oil. stick it on. done. I can do it real fast, within a 1/2 hour. I don't purge any line because I never took any off. long time ago I measured what come out of the lines and the amount was so small, not even a 1/2 cup. I take the plane out of the hangar and crank it over for no more than 15 seconds, I wait a few second and crank again. the oil pressure will come up. I stop, let it sit a bit. crank it again to make sure it's got pressure. now I turn on the mags and let er rip. starts up and got pressure for oil right away.

now with all this said and done, I don't like an efis for oil pressure, I like manual all the way and I like mag switches not an ignition switch. I can crank and not have it start.

now for 100LL, that stuff is nasty. It needs to be replaced. I hate it in my RV with the io360 and it's a nasty thing in the rotax. I know whats killing the get rid of 100LL, those boys with the big engine out there, they want lead and high octane. us boys are on the back burner. money speaks today.

I run auto fuel in my rv also. this engine has over 1300hrs and the top end is nice and Purdy.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Thanks, Dorsal. I sure wish Swift Fuel or some other lead-free avgas would become more available around the country, faster.
    I don't know how the Swift Fuels thing has been working around other parts of the country. In my aeronautical neighborhood I am finding that some airports which had 91 autogas on the field are simply replacing it with Swift in the same tank, deleting the autogas. Swift in=autogas out. Adding another tank and pump is likely not in the cards economically at most small airports.

Another observation is Swift was fairly competitive with 91 autogas when it was first changed to at certain airports - now that it has been around a bit the price of Swift went up compared to autogas.

We have several 91 (R+M/2) autogas locations at local filling stations. The facility I use has a dedicated pump and tank that is not used for anything else. One of the other stations switched from a dedicated pump to a high tech single delivery hose, complete with a "Betty" (so you get to listen to that); and, the single hose is used for regular, premium and 91 corn free. Aside from potential valve leakage, malfunction or nefarious interference by the station management, when a person fills a 5 gallon can off this pump you are probably getting the 91 corn free diluted with up to a gallon of the other stuff from what was last delivered through the hose - inconsequential to today's cars; but, not good for a ULS.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I use 100LL almost exclusively when I had my 912 Kitfox. In Texas all you can get is Ethanol. I used 3 tanks of ethanol, the ethanol stripped something out of my tanks. I contended it was stripping epoxy out of my tanks, John says it was mold release. Regardless what is stripped out, it caused all kind problems. I only know of 2 places that sold MoGas, no where near by. I started running 100LL with Decalin from then on. I did oil changes every 25 hours, replaced the oil filter every 25 hours, Religiously used Decalin, cleaned the Oil Tank out at every oil change. However, at about 475 hours I had to send the engine in to have the heads, valves, cylinders cleaned of the lead build up. I was pulling it through after an oil change, and it felt like the cylinders hit a hard stop. I pulled the engine crated it back up for a second time, and sent it to California Power Systems (Aircraft Spruce), they said the lead build up flaked off and jammed up under a valve.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I buy Swift fuel direct and have it delivered to my airport. you can order in 350 gal totes or by the 55 gal drums.
    Works very very well.

Price/gal. in the 55 gallon drums? Also in 350 gallon tote?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I'm also curious to know how much the drum or tote costs.

I will let you know on the prices next week as I am ordering a new shipment on Tuesday.

Jim

Any update on the price for 55 gal drums?
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I have called Swift but have not received the quote yet. I will post ASAP

Swift fuels is unleaded? Is it more stabile than mogas? I have a good supply of ethanol free mogas, but I’d like to keep a 55 gal drum in the hangar for easy fueling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brian Cass
    KF Model IV Speedster
    Rotax 912UL