Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Funding a new plane by building and selling kits?

Default Funding a new plane by building and selling kits?

Newbie post here.
    So, I want to run the following scenario by you guys to check its feasibility.
    My dad and I want a plane, he´s got the time to build, I don't quite have the money because I'm saving to buy a house so I can't just spend 100k on a kit and don't want to buy an older plane but it got me thinking that we might just be able to fund our plane by building and selling kits, so, buy a kit, build it, fly it (40 hour “fly off” period), sell it and do it all over again until we make the 100k.

month 0:
    paying $5000 deposit of kitfox #1
    month 12:
    paying $5000 deposit of kitfox #2 AND paying the balance, receiving and start building kitfox #1
    month 18:
    Finish building kitfox #1 (considering almost fulltime building of my dad and some help from me)
    month 20:
    Start selling process kitfox#1
    month 24:
    paying $5000 deposit of kitfox #3 AND paying the balance, receiving and start building kitfox #2
    month 30:
    Finish building kitfox #2
    month 32:
    Start selling process kitfox #2

and continue until making 100k

But before all that I guess the fundamental questions are:
    1)Are people interested in buying a kit built by someone else today instead of waiting the full year for a kit or 3 years for a factory build?
    2)Suppose someone is willing to buy the kit, will it turn a profit? enough to get the 100k in 2-3 planes?

Thanks for your input!

Default Re: Funding a new plane by building and selling kits?

From what I have seen, complete flying aircraft being sold are at a price point less than the total of the component parts they contain. I do not see this as a profit-making endeavor.

Why not watch for and scoop up a "project" or incomplete kit that was abandoned?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Why not watch for and scoop up a "project" or incomplete kit that was abandoned?
    Not a bad idea, I guess its just matter of hunting on the classifieds until something good comes up.
    Thanks for your input.

I agree that there won't be enough margin for this to work. Also, in the US, it's not legal. Some people appear to get away with it. I'm thinking specifically about Carbon Cubs and RV-10s. I do kind of worry that if this becomes too common, it will inspire more restrictive rulemaking or more onerous requirements on builders to demonstrate that their planes are truly amateur-built.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Thanks for your input.
    What makes it ilegal? I would guess not the sale/purchase of the experimentals per say? I mean at least I think you can legally buy a used experimental.
    Might it be the actual process of building with the intention of sale and profiting from an experimental?

Quote Originally Posted by hgclobo View Post
    Might it be the actual process of building with the intention of sale and profiting from an experimental?
    Yup. To certify as Experimental Amateur-Built it must be built solely for the purpose of recreation or education. In practice, it's difficult to ascertain what a builder's intentions were, so I doubt many airworthiness certificate applications get denied on this basis. Still, if a DAR or the FSDO sniffed you out, the plane would be a lawn ornament.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Did not know.
    Thanks!