Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Instrument Panel Template

Default Re: Instrument Panel Template

Thank you so much !!!!

Does anyone have a template for a model 3 panel? I copied a link from this forum for https://sendcutsend.com/. It looks like a good place to get a panel custom cut. I just need a blank template or file with the dimensions to send them.

Thanks,

Jay

I put a bunch of cad models up at https://grabcad.com/tracstarr-1/models
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The model of the Kitfox 6 panel is what I am hunting for, just for the model 3, it looks like the shape and dimensions are very different.

Jay

I am looking to re-do my panel also. I opened the Zip file and I was able to get to the CAD file however, I do not have an application to open the file with. Is there a good easy to use CAD application out there that I could use to open the file with. Further, could it be used to add the cut-outs that I want for the various items to the file so that I could then take the file to a shop to have the panel laser cut?
    Fred
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

You have a EAA member number in your signature, so you can download a fully functional version of Solidworks for free. I've spent my entire working life doing CAD and "speak" many languages. I can honestly say Solidworks is hard to beat. While it has a learning curve if you want to become an expert, importing a panel file and poking some holes in it is a great place to jump in. Start with some of the built in tutorials and you'll know when you're ready to pull in the panel.

Dynon HDX 7 two screens.jpg
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by tracstarr View Post
    I put a bunch of cad models up at https://grabcad.com/tracstarr-1/models
    Do you happen to know if the Model 6 fits the Model 7? I would think so but am not sure. I opened the CAD file supplied earlier in this thread but don't see the bottom return on the panel.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    Do you happen to know if the Model 6 fits the Model 7? I would think so but am not sure. I opened the CAD file supplied earlier in this thread but don't see the bottom return on the panel.

Thanks!
    5-7 are the same. You won't see a return flange on most of the CAD files being shared because many are going to have a place like sendcutsend cut the panel for them. Forming that flange along the bottom requires a press brake with some "oomph" to keep the flange straight, well beyond the capability of a Harbor Freight or similar sheet metal brake.

Solution? Rivet an L angle extrusion to the bottom of the flat panel, which is what I'm going to do. Only someone who has built a Kitfox would ever notice the difference, and only if they stared at it long enough.

I do have a flat pattern drawn up with the flange included (and accounting for the material stretch during forming), in the even that someone has access to a good sheet metal job shop.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Thanks Alex. I downloaded tracstarr's DWG file from grab cad, which has the return. We've got a machine shot that does a lot of press brake work for us so I think I'll go that route. Do you happen to know what gauge aluminum is used?

I don't know what the gauge number is, but mine (Series 5) is 0.062" thick.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings