Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wing sweep adjustment

Default Wing sweep adjustment

Another beginner question, the manual has the wing sweep adjustment through moving the forward spar attachment. Wings are on the plane with clamps. Seems that the sweep can be adjusted merely by rotating the wings a bit and the forward spar location at the carry through tube is not fixed anyway. If I bring the spars all the way forward and hold with straps, the sweep is not adjusted by moving the brackets? Voodoo! Am I missing something obvious? Been fretting this step for days.

Default Re: Wing sweep adjustment

Maybe I don't understand your problem, but sweep adjustment is not voodoo. Drill the rear spar bolt attachment at the carrythru first. Then attach the wings, holding the front spar carrythru attachment with straps/clamps, etc. Then loosen the clamps and rotate the wings around the rear spar bolt to the proper sweep angle, then tighten the clamps. If you have properly prepared the measurements (per the manual), you will now be able to drill the front spar carrythru bolt hole and the sweep will be set. Don't forget to also set the proper dihedral while you are setting the sweep because that also affects the bolt hole drilling location.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

yep, I was reading way to much into the steps. Pretty straightforward. Thanks!

After you drill that pilot hole through the front spar, the manual says to use a file to enlarge the hole to match the through hole of the airframe. I found that using a side cutting drill bit on the Dremel was so efficient. Don't waist all the time with a file. As the bit touches the steel inner diameter, lateral movement stops. Keep the bit vertical or you may get a wobbled out hole.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

yep, the dremel worked great