Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: New Kitfox Member Looking at a Kitfox 3

Default New Kitfox Member Looking at a Kitfox 3

Hey guys, I have been looking at the Kitfox for a couple months now and am about to make the plunge. I don't have time to build one (yet), so I have been looking at used models. I found a Kitfox 3 with a Rotex 582 and relatively low time.

Just wondering if you can give me some input about that particular model and the motor. I know the more modern stuff is a LOT better, but this seems like it could work for me for now.

Is there anything I should be looking for when I go to check it out? Any thoughts on that motor? (I know it's cheaper to buy and maintain, but doesn't it have a rather limited TBO interval?)

I have already taught my 18 year old daughter to fly. My son is 12 and I thought a tail dragger would be a great way to teach him "old school" flying. We currently have a Cirrus SR-20, so I'm not too worried about the speed of the older Kitfox. This is just a plane for messing around locally (and for my daughter to build time in CHEAP).

I've been searching this forum and learning a lot. I appreciate any advise you guys can offer!

John

Default Re: New Kitfox Member Looking at a Kitfox 3

The Model 3 is a fun and inexpensive airplane to own. A 582 Rotax is a nice match to it. Light, powerful and a good performer on 5 gph of auto-gas.

This engine is a two-stoke twin cylinder engine that does require some education on it's proper care and operation. With the proper care and operation it will serve you very well. It does have a 5 year or 300 hour TBO, but overhaul at that point is not necessarily a bank breaker. Maintenance and proper operation of the two-stroke is key, did I mention that?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum!

I’ve got a Model III based at Galt Airport in Wonder Lake, not too far from you. I can show you around a Model III if you like. Mine isn’t flying at the moment so I can’t give you a ride. If you’re looking at one in the area, I could probably give you an opinion on it. Check your private messages for my contact info.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Please keep us posted as to what you find.