Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Magnetic Oil plug on Rotax 912

Default Magnetic Oil plug on Rotax 912

Has anyone found an alternative magnetic plug to use on the Rotax 912?

I am getting tired of using vice grips since the hex part on mine has stripped out.

$58 for a Rotax plug is absolutely ridiculous.

I have seen a few on line that look like a good fit but I thought I would check on here first.

Thanks

Default Re: Magnetic Oil plug on Rotax 912

Hate to say it, but I just quit taking mine out. I am now on my third plug - had to drill and easy-out the other two.

I do a couple of things instead of taking the plug out. One: I always cut my filter and inspect it carefully, with a magnet and magnifying glass if needed.

Two: I always warm the engine oil before changing it. While it is draining, I capture a small sample (maybe 2-3 ounces) in a used prescription bottle that has a white lid. I take that bottle home, and add some alcohol, or you can use kerosene. Then, shake it up and put it on the bench with the white cap down. Between the white cap and the bench place a small magnet. I let it sit for 24 hours and then, while keeping the magnet on the lid with my fingers, I remove the lid.

I then examine the inside of the lid to look for ferrous particles. If there are ferrous particles present, the magnet will pull them down into the lid. Even non-ferrous particles will settle onto the lid during the 24 hour wait period. While holding the lid in one hand - move the magnet around under the lid - those particles that are ferrous will move around.

If you want to check for liquids in the oil - BEFORE - you add the alcohol or kerosene, wait until your wife has gone shopping - then heat a metal pan to above 210 degrees F and put a drop or two of the oil on the hot pan. If it sizzles or pops, water is present. How you explain the smell to the wife is YOUR problem.

Regards
    Rodney

I have never had an issue removing magnetic plugs. The original plug in my engine (1997 vintage) came out by warming the engine, using an inverted spray can of "air" (used to clean computer keyboards) to cool the plug in the warm engine and it came right out. This was the "allen key" style plug. I borrowed a good quality allen socket (Mac Tools) that fit well and was careful not to strip it. I have helped remove stripped "allen" head mag plugs with this same method by tapping a "torx" socket (I don't remember the size) into the stripped "allen" head. With heating of the housing and cooling the plug as described they also came out with minimal fuss.

I replaced the "allen" (per mandatory Rotax SB) with the "hex" head plug which, with the correct metric socket and torque, comes right out every oil change without issue.

Yes, the new plug is expensive at $58.10. All things are relative. This is an AIRPLANE engine after all. Compare it to the cost of anything on a Ly-Con-saurus engine. It's near the same cost as a single spark plug for one of those. Thank your attorney next time you see them for the high cost of aviation liability.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I also replaced with the hex, not sure how important it is but gives me piece of mind when I remove it each year and say "looks pretty good to me" I do not know of any alternatives but agree with Av8r3400, just buy it and move on.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Av8r3400

That's a good idea. Next time I change oil, I'll try cooling the plug and see if it will release.

Thanks
    Rodney

I'd like to add something to this thread that should be taken for what it's worth. I believe that the Rotax manual says to torque this M12x1.5 plug to 18 ft.lbs. (216 in.lbs.). I think that earlier manuals may have listed a much higher torque, and many owners may have older engines that were tightened too much, perhaps at the factory and then by the owners. Maybe someone here has an old Maintenance Manual and can confirm or debunk this. I have a friend who said that Lockwood told him to tighten it to only 25 in.lbs. I haven't confirmed that with Lockwood - that sounds way too low to me, but in my opinion this plug is non-structural and has to be only tight enough to prevent leakage, and then is safety-wired to prevent loosening. Perhaps a small amount of anti-seize on the threads would be a good idea also. I don't presume to know more about this than Rotax does, so owners should check this information for themselves.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I've bought the SAF-Air quick drain valve for my engine (which I don't have yet). Apparently I also needed an extension adapter due to the oil tank position on newer Rotax engines, so I bought that as well.

Yes, the initial outlay is higher than buying a sump plug but for oil-draining convenience they seem pretty useful.

Drain valve: https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/pr...roduct/M12175/

Adapter: https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/pr...oduct/RM12175/

Hi Paul,

I have a quick drain also. The issue with not being able to install it directly on the oil tank is because of the position of the bottom baffle plate in the newer oil tanks - the quick drain can be impeded or contact that plate.

At any rate, I'm sure you know that we're talking about the magnetic plug that is on the engine itself.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

At any rate, I'm sure you know that we're talking about the magnetic plug that is on the engine itself.
    Haha, no I didn't realise the two plugs were different animals (I do, now, having Googled it)

Every day's a school day

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSS View Post

Every day's a school day
    How very true!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime