Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Flap positions on Kitfox 4

Default Flap positions on Kitfox 4

New Kitfox owner here, bought a used kit Fox 4 and am looking everything over. One thing I found curious is there are no stops for the flap positions, is this normal in the fours? And if it is normal if you go full flaps does the air flow not push the flaperions back to a 0 flap position if there is nothing holding it in full flap position?

Look forward to any responses and can’t wait to get it in the air.

MT

Default Re: Flap positions on Kitfox 4

I am sure you'll get more responses and ideas, but on mine, there is a leather disc sandwiched in washers at the base of the flap handle. You tighten this disc causing friction and it grips and hold the flaps in position. I also put a stop (bolt with washer on the console the contacts the flap handle) on mine that prevents the flaps from going past 3/4 of full flaps since this is the most flap I have ever needed. This way I just pull it to the stop and don't have to worry about the exact position.

I can usually tell if this disc needs to be adjusted because like you said, the flaps will "slip" due to the added resistance when deployed. Some people build a saw tooth set up with different settings to mechanically secure the flap handle.

Not a big fan of the friction set up on the flap handle but still have it on my Classic 4. If you wait to use flaps untill final approch it works pretty good due to less air speed. I still want to refine my set up but haven't got around to it yet. I'm sure others have input on this.
    Dan G.
    Model IV 1200 - Tri-gear
    Jabiru 2200
    Flying

Just one Man's opinion, but.... In the thousand hours of flight in my two Model IVs, I used flaps on either a take off or landing only once and that was due to pilot error. I had flown to Frazier Lake just inland from Monterey Bay, CA to visit another Kitfox guy and tied down facing away from the rather strong offshore wind. While hangar flying and enjoying the day, the wind slowly lowered the flaperons to the Max limit - 75% - overwhelming the leather friction locks. Failing to do a complete walk around on departure, I took off in that configuration and my error was discovered after climb out when trying to achieve normal cruise speeds.

The e-mail list talk then was that the landing stall benefit was offset pretty much by the loss of elevator authority and most guys didn't use the flaps. In fact, after my error, I put a Nylon Cable Tie around the flap handle to lock it into the zero angle position and flew that way for the next 8 years. Side slips - Yes - on virtually every landing. I never ever felt the need for the 4 or so mph stall benefit. And this with probably 300 hours flying to and around the back country of Idaho. Regarding elevator authority, I have a friend with a model IV who uses flaps routinely and his procedure is to pull the flaps, then when nearing the stall when the elevator authority gets soft, he will give a slight turn of the throttle to boost RPM to enhance the prop-wash to get back what he lost with the flaps. That seems a bit complex to fix something that to me, never seemed broken. Again, just one man's opinion.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thanks for the input, I am going to get it in the air and test out different flap settings and will share my findings.
    Thanks to all.

MTS

Thumbs up Re: Flap positions on Kitfox 4

Please!!!!

Here is what i do
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kitfox Aircraft sells a retrofit kit to add flap position notches. mounts with two clamps. Very simple and works really well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michaeltsm View Post
    New Kitfox owner here, bought a used kit Fox 4 and am looking everything over. One thing I found curious is there are no stops for the flap positions, is this normal in the fours?...MT
    It's a 5 minute fix. Just tighten the nut on the bolt thru the friction washers. Mine has a castle nut and a cotter pin. I adjusted it once after my 1st flight and it's been fine since. It holds at any speed. I wish every fix was that easy.