Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: New buyer of model 2

Default New buyer of model 2

Hello Fellow kitfox enthusiasts,

Although I have been poking around this form for 15 years, and a member for 9 or so, this is my first post. I have always been a fan of the kitfox since I had my first ever airplane ride in one around 20 years ago. 14 years ago I started flight training and had to give it up due to financial reasons, but I have since finished and as of mid last year I am a very proud private pilot in Canada. There is one life long dream checked off the list.

The next life long dream, which truly has been a dream since I had that one 15 minute kitfox flight 20 some odd years ago, is to own a kitfox. This dream has an opportunity to come into fruition for me. The same builder that took me flying 20 years ago is looking to sell his kitfox and I have the opportunity to purchase it. He has built a new plane and isn't really flying his kitfox much anymore, although it is still current and flying. The plane is a model 2 with a 582. In my opinion, the plane looks very well built, and everything looks to be in good shape with this plane. The builder has offered to 'take me under his wing' so to say, so that his baby gets passed along to a respectable owner. A deal has been worked out with him and I in that he can still fly his plane a couple hours a year, and I get to pick his brain and use his wealth of information that he has built over the last 30 years of building this, and another plane. Seems like a win win to me.

I can read through the thousands of forms on this site and get lost in the wealth of information, but I get overwhelmed quickly as to all the various topics. I feel like I need to jump in with two feet and get started in plane ownership, and this is the only way to learn what I need to learn. I guess my only question is - am I losing my mind? Or is this the best way to go about becoming a fellow kitfox owner, and not just ogler? Thanks for any help I can receive.

Default Re: New buyer of model 2

Well finally. Welcome to being engaged in the forum Carlyle. Sounds like you have an in to Kitfox flying. Since he will want to fly it just be sure your insurance policy is inclusive. Of course you will be the one they base the higher premium on considering your time in a Kitfox but adding him as a second PIC would be necessary if you want it insured during those times he is flying. I don't think it will be a concern given his time in the air frame.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

It doesn't sound crazy to me. Like you said it sounds like a win win situation. And like you also said it's been a long time dream of yours and you only live once.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Thanks for the responses so far. As far as insurance is concerned, we spoke about this in detail today. My understanding is that so long as he has insurance on his other plane, it can be transferable to the kitfox even after I own it. Sounds like with this particular insurance company, if you have liability insurance on one plane, it is transferable to any plane you fly, or something like this. That being said, this is strictly liability insurance and not haul insurance.

If there is some sort of insurance issue, I'm willing to work the details out on that.

Carlyle,

Congrats on figuring out a route to kitfox ownership. I recall that my first ride in a IV was what sold me on the craft.

On the insurance, the cut to the chase is to query the insurance firm you would carry your owner's insurance with - that is the one that counts.

Well wishes with your kitfox journey
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Is there anything I should be doing as far as pre inspection, etc? I'm not really sure what to look at. The builder is a well respected builder in my aviation community so I am feeling quite comfortable with moving forward with the deal. Does anyone have any advice as to what to look for, etc?