Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Inspection rings between lower false ribs

Default Inspection rings between lower false ribs

I’d like to add one between the two lower false ribs in the pitot/lift strut wing bay. I think this will give me better access to the pitot tube. However the manual says place inspection rings aft of false ribs.

In all the other bays the rings do not fit between the false ribs so I’m wondering if that’s the reasoning. Whereas in this bay the spacing is wider since there are only two ribs.

Any reason why I shouldn’t place between ribs?

Also I’m thinking two ports per wing. Under lift strut and jury strut. I imagine that should give plenty of access for maintenance and inspection. Am I forgetting anything?

Default Re: Inspection rings between lower false ribs

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRuscito View Post
    Any reason why I shouldn’t place between ribs?

Also I’m thinking two ports per wing. Under lift strut and jury strut. I imagine that should give plenty of access for maintenance and inspection. Am I forgetting anything?
    There is a possibility the fabric won't be totally flat between the false ribs. That could lead to chaffing through the fabric if the inspection cover edges can touch.

I only have 2 inspection holes on my wings and I feel it is enough. Taking the wingtip off gives you a good look at the outer 3-4 bays for inspections. You also need to have holes for access to anything that may need to be removed or disconnected (pitot tube, AHRS, magnetometer, etc.).

You can always put more inspection rings on the wing, but you don't need to cut them open and use covers till they are needed. On the other hand you could always install an inspection hole later if need be, but it might not be as nice looking after you paint it.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016