Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Model 1 upgrades

Default Model 1 upgrades

I found a Kitfox model 1. It needs restoring. Are the much difference between a 1 and 5? Any upgrades that can be done?

Default Re: Model 1 upgrades

The model 1 is the smallest and lightest of all the 2 seat Kitfoxes with a max gross weight of 850 lbs and it was only designed for a 2 stroke engine. It's only 36" wide in the cockpit at the shoulders. The model 2 aft fuselage was stretched 7" to accommodate a 912 but the model 1 would need quite a bit of ballast in the tail and enlarged tail feathers to handle a bigger heavier engine(not recommended). As to what other upgrades it depends on how it is currently equipped. But basically it's a minimalist airplane and adding a bunch of weight to it is a sure way to make it not fun to fly. If it has a rotax 532 then upgrading to a 582 or 670 is an option.

There is a HUGE difference between the Model IV and the Model 5. You will never make any model 4 or older into a 5 or newer. It would be like saying you want to modify Cessna 140 into a 170.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks for the replies. Its has a 532 in it. No log books and hasn't been registered in a while. may pass it up.

Take your time, and look for model-4 1200 lbs gross plane. Have cash in hand to move fast, when the time comes.
    It's the best-cheap kitfox you can find on a budget, and make sure it's the 1200 lbs model.
    Put the word out you are looking for one. That's how I got mine cheap, a widow was looking to clean out
    the hanger and it was just one of lots planes. Got it for 5K, un-started with factory jigged wings and the rotax
    firewall forward kit, which I sold off for $2300.
    Hope this helps
    Roger

Hi all - Well I just purchased a Model 1. Upgrades and mods would be helpful. A 532 and a 582 come with it but probably needs rebuilding. It's what I could afford for now and I have time and a hanger to work in. I'm only 5'8" and fly solo, so wider plane wasn't my focus.
    I live in New Mexico most of the time and would like to meet and talk with others who fly the KitFox.
    I'm located in the Deming area.
    Hope to hear from someone soon....

Check with this guy, met him a couple weeks ago at a EAA meeting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zjpbi9-Q5A

He has a highly modified kitfox model 1 with a o-200 motor on it, and big bush tires.
    It required welding extra supports in of course, but he has a lot of good insight into bumping up
    the performance of a model 1.
    Hope this helps
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by rogerh12 View Post
    Check with this guy, met him a couple weeks ago at a EAA meeting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zjpbi9-Q5A

He has a highly modified kitfox model 1 with a o-200 motor on it, and big bush tires.
    It required welding extra supports in of course, but he has a lot of good insight into bumping up
    the performance of a model 1.
    Hope this helps
    Roger
    Do you happen to know if he's a member on any of the forums or have a direct contact for him still?

That looks really fun. Ineresting thing, Four straight pipes for the exhaust and all are cut at 45 degrees in the opposite direction that I was instructed to cut mine.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X