Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Paint booth

Default Paint booth

I have some questions around requirements for a sufficient paint booth.

I thought I had the great idea of buying an enclosed temporary carport ($100) rather than build one but I’ve set it up and now I’m having some concerns.

It is enclosed on all sides but is certainly not air tight, I’m not sure how much of an issue this will be. I know I’ll be adding fans anyway but I’m concerned about dust/bugs

To that point the flies seems to love this thing because it cuts down any wind I would imagine. What do you guys do about the bugs?

I may be looking at this all wrong but I need some guidance here.

My thinking is I need to control: wind, dust, bugs, temp, over spray... anything else?

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Paint booth

I built my own booth from PVC pipe and painters plastic wrap. Used packing tape to lock all the edges tight. Used a Zipper in the paint section at Home depot to provide access to the inside. I taped up a fan to the side of one wall and put aircondition filters on the opposite side then just cut out the plastic around all that. Definitely want to ventilate the interior because it will just become a fog of paint in there. recommend using cloth floor vs plastic so your shoes don't stick to the plastic and over spray. You should be able to seal up the panels on the cover you have with packing tape. Lay plastic down on the floor, fold it up the sides and packing tape it to the walls. Toss in the cloth floor.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Also, try not to paint after it's getting dark. The bugs home in on the light, and you have them trying to get in then much worse then earlier in the day. Been there, done that. And still have some of those bugs to prove it. JImChuk

It's 99% not Rocket Science, the simplest way that I have heard of, (and genius at that) is a is an
    outdoor canopy with screen netting. Then simply paint in the morning when it is nice and calm out
    (if you don't have close neighbors). No need for vents, fans, etc, etc.

I did convert part of my garage into a paint booth, with fans, filters, etc. Since then I have painted
    a lot of other ways, up to and including in the open air in the backyard, and .... I'd just do a screen
    tent and paint on nice days.

The little teeniest stuff that might get in the paint will rub/buff out easily.

That's my two cents.

Jeff

I have done what both of Eddie and Jeff suggest. Jim's mention of time of day is a good point as well. My paint booth was in my hangar with half a dozen or so fluorescent light fixtures strategically placed for good lighting. It exhausted through a tunnel made from the plastic sheet running to a back window. On the outside part - inside too, I guess - daytime temps are important as well. I found that cool mornings gave a bit more time for the paint to flow and helped reduce the lemon peel effect. For small parts, I would simply paint outside in the morning before bug time and heavier breezes.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I did a wood frame hanging from the garage ceiling with visqueen walls I could roll up when not in use. It had two wood framed end walls, one with filters and one with fans. And lots of shop lights outside the sides and ceiling. If I had it to do over, I'd cover the floor with red rosin paper that comes in the big roll and put a hinged door in the end wall with the fans to make it easier to get in and out while wearing a bunnny suit and forced air respirator. I also probably wouldn't park my truck as close in the driveway as I did.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Thanks for all the information/suggestions. Id love to put a booth in my garage but the gas water heater is in there and Im concerned that it could be an ignition source....

Joe, I think you would be OK in the garage as long as your booth is sealed up with a fan blowing all booth fumes to the outside-making sure the fan is always ON until all fumes are exhausted.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS