Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox 4-1200 vs Kitfox 5 vs 7 vs Super Sport.. Confused

Default Kitfox 4-1200 vs Kitfox 5 vs 7 vs Super Sport.. Confused

I have read the Kitfox Model History sticky and have done some research. Here is what I found.. Between the Kitfox 4-1200 and Kitfox 5 there is a 100lb empty weight difference. Between the Kitfox 5 and Kitfox 6-7 there is about a 25-50lb empty weight difference, motor mounts moved forward and interchangeable gear.

First Part: Between the Kitfox 4-1200 and Kitfox 5 with both engines being the same (912s) I know the 4-1200 will have better "performance", but my question is, which model is better during high winds? Presume all the available upgrades from the model 7 will be installed on the model 5 (elevator etc etc).. Is it also possible to install the STI wing, elevator etc etc from the model 7 to the model 4-1200? Or is it only for the model 5-7

Second Part: Between the Kitfox 5 and Kitfox 7 the interchangeable gear does not appeal to me, that being said, it seems to me that the altered location of the motor mounts on the Kitfox 7 is more or less to accommodate CG when adding a 180hp engine. For the 912s it seems the Kitfox 4-1200 and Kitfox 5 compliment the 912s best?

Third Part: Would you rather build a Kitfox 4-1200 or a Kitfox 5 with a 912s? Assuming you can add the STI wing and all model 7 upgrades to the 4-1200 I probably would lean towards that, but I am also assuming that if the same upgrades for the model 5 are not available for the model 4-1200 then it's likely the model 5 would be better than the model 4-1200

Thanks for your time

Default Re: Kitfox 4-1200 vs Kitfox 5 vs 7 vs Super Sport.. Confused

I’m not sure of your point, but I will comment to your post. In your comparisons, it appears that one thing you have not gleaned from your Kitfox history review is the size of the fuselage in the 5 to 7 is relatively the same. The model 4-1200 fuselage is much smaller, resulting in the lower weight, resulting in the performance with the same engine.

just some more to chew on.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph! Exactly, you're correct. I was not so much trying to make a point, I was just asking some questions. You're comment shows the reasoning as to why you can add an interchangeable gear option and all model 7 upgrades to the model 5. I was more or less inquiring about the model 4-1200 and model 5 differences.

I was also wondering if you are able to add the STI wing, elevator etc to the model 4-1200, but I'm not too sure as the 4-1200 and 5-7 have a different fuselage.. Another thing I was inquiring is if the forward motor mounts to accommodate more powerful engines in the model 7 are in fact better when using a 912s or are they more or less for 180hp with a CS prop? I would like a fixed pitch with the 912s

You cannot put the STI wing on the model 4. The model 4 is a complete different airplane. Also there are three different model 4 kitfox. the first is the the model 4 with gross weight of 1050lbs. The second is the classic model 4 with a gross weight of 1200lbs and then the third which is the speedster classic 4. I did a lot a research before buying my model 4 speedster. The 5 and up are a lot bigger and roomier and it was a really hard decision but in the end I had found a really nice partially build kit that in the end was going to save me a lot of money over buying a used 5-7 or buying a new kit. For me I wanted to say I built it. I'm 5'11" and 190 and I think the model 4 fits me like a glove. My Friend who is 6'2" thinks it a bit snug for him but he is used to all the comforts a of PA-38 Tomahawk! Everything you need for a model 4 1200 is also still available from Kitfox as they still sell this model, mostly to Europe from my understanding. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by HiViz View Post
    Thanks Ralph! Exactly, you're correct. I was not so much trying to make a point, I was just asking some questions. You're comment shows the reasoning as to why you can add an interchangeable gear option and all model 7 upgrades to the model 5. I was more or less inquiring about the model 4-1200 and model 5 differences.

I was also wondering if you are able to add the STI wing, elevator etc to the model 4-1200, but I'm not too sure as the 4-1200 and 5-7 have a different fuselage.. Another thing I was inquiring is if the forward motor mounts to accommodate more powerful engines in the model 7 are in fact better when using a 912s or are they more or less for 180hp with a CS prop? I would like a fixed pitch with the 912s

Every engine mount is different fomth engine. Lots of 5s have big motors including of one I know of who an IO360. In fact the shorter nose is better for bigger engines so your thinking is backwards on that. The extended mount on the 7 is so you can actually use your baggage areas total weight with a Rotax before being too far aft from what I understand. The first guys to put a Rotax in a model 5 had to use rear swept get the c of g. I think there have been a few design iterations. If you want a fixed pitch prop and a 912ULS, the 7 mount will be better. Apparently it makes it fly more stable too

in theory the STI wings could bolt onto the 4 but the flapperon attachements and mixer assemble are all different from the 5-7 and would have to be redesigned and tested $$$

Hopefully that makes sense. I’ve been up all night on a midnight shift.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    ... The first guys to put a Rotax in a model 5 had to use rear swept get the c of g....
    From my memory, the opposite was the the case. The V was designed around the Rotax engines and when using the heavier certified engines, the wings were swept forward a bit. Not sure how much, as my experience has been IV centered
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Here is where I got that information from:

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...KOTM-John-King
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I guess we are both right. I remember John from the early email lists. His was a 6 and apparently the engine mount for the 912 option on the 6 was a cousin of the V mount. He mentions that most of the wing sweep was forward to accommodate the heavier engines - likely referring to the Vs - and that was likely what prompted his question to Skystar for the aft sweep possibility, and that to his knowledge his was the only Kitfox with aft swept wings.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel