Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tool investment planning

Default Tool investment planning

So, I need to rip more rib stiffers out of some ply I picked up and a band saw seems the easiest method to do so. I have access to use a bandsaw at the cost of beer but I was wondering if there is enough future need for one to go ahead and make the investment. I don’t know how much I will use it after this project.

thanks.

Default Re: Tool investment planning

A Roto Zip works also, and if not have one they pretty reasonable, also they good for lots of projects, either way u go ull find ull use it so much it becomes ur new favorate tool. Tool investment is always a good investment i say.

My philosophy is, If finances allow, I buy my own tools. The bench top band saw isn't that pricey and it doesn't take up much room in the shop. So much nicer when you don't have to ask friends or neighbors for stuff. It is a big bummer too when you have to tell someone that their tool no longer works.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Also at the end of your project if you feel you don't need it anymore list it on craigslist and get your beer money back

I use my band saw OFTEN. Yep - I could get by without it (most of the time) but from a time savings standpoint and improving workmanship quality I'm glad I have it. I'm pretty sure you won't regret having one of your own. BUT - on the other hand, if you do get one, do yourself the final, really big favor and avoid the really cheap ones. You most likely won't need a Jet or Grizzly but . . . . . .

Dont forget if ur makin new ribs u may have holes u may want to cut out like the factory ones. That is if im thinkin ur ribstiffners what im thinkin. Or capstrips mayb? Course can use a hand jigsaw also if just a few.

Also don't forget that with a metal cutting blade you can cut thin gauge aluminum or steel. This is where I used mine most even more so than wood cutting.Bruce N199CL

Everytime I consider buying a new tool, especially one that takes a footprint in the garage, I try to imagine how much I will use it. After I get it, I ask myself, how did I ever do without this?
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    My philosophy is, If finances allow, I buy my own tools...

So true Eddie!

I try to find older, well made power tools and give them an overhaul.

My band saw, drill press and table saw are all over 50 yrs old and running great.
    I paid approx. $60.00 dollars for each. Plus a couple of days to clean and repair.
    Amazing what a pencil eraser can do for a old commutator.

That being said I do have two new Dremel rotary tools that are invaluable for our
    type of work. One set up with a drum sander and the other with a cut off wheel.
    The 90 deg. tool is also very handy for drilling in hard to reach places!

Best of luck!!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades