Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox IV `project fifty`

Default Kitfox IV `project fifty`

Hi all,
    I like to introduce my project ´Kitfox fifty´

IMG_4763.jpgIMG_4857.jpg

Searching and considering long time, I finally decided to step into the KF world and let my dream come true with a Mod. IV-1200. I´m very excited, because it could turn into a nightmare also…
    The plane is airworthy, but aged and needs some love…others may say I only bought a bunch of work!

Some background about me:
    So far I´m doing only hanggliding and WSC aircraft (check ´Revo´ or ´Larry Mednick´, if you need an idea about that…). This little bird is the only reason for me to step into 3-axis world. So settle back and enjoy. This could get funny (hopefully also for me!)

Regarding my strange spelling pls. bear with me! As I live on the opposite side of the big water, more precisely Europe/Germany, I`m still learning…

Inside this thread, I`d like to present and certainly discuss my restoration (I will sure have way too many questions) while trying to avoid issues discussed already a lot of times.
    As I`m a big fan of the `support your dealer/factory´ idea, unfortunately Kitfox/Homedale is more than 8.500km away. Both transportation costs and time will be limiting factors. So please note, that if I will ask for DIY solutions this doesn´t indicate that I`m afraid of spending money to the factory!

Thanks (sorry for long introduction)!
    Marc

P.S. Why Kitfox fifty you may ask? Well, I´m at the age of 47 right now. Target is to get airborne (plane+pilot) aged 50.
    Marc
    rebuilding IV-1200
    `Kitfox fifty`

Default Re: Kitfox IV `project fifty`

Hi Marc, this is Marc ;-)

Also from Germany.

Where in Germany are you located. There is quite a big Kitfox Community in Germany(6 of them in EDKB), so a lot of people that can help you out and answer questions.

Congratulations on your project! I have a Model 4Speedster and a Model 5 Speedster myself.

Cheers,
    Marc

Hi Marc,

thanks!
    I`m located south nearby Stuttgart.
    Marc
    rebuilding IV-1200
    `Kitfox fifty`

Congratulations Marc. I too started my build at 47. Just turned 50 March 1st, so Flying starts for me again Sunday (wind allowing) after 25 years of being earthbound.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

…pick up of the plane at the airfield. To have a safer transportation, I decided to take the wings off completely. About 800mls. to go…
    From a distance the bird doesn`t look too bad…although the color scheme isn`t my favorite.
    IMG_4891.jpgIMG_4896.jpgIMG_4899.jpg

main tasks
    - re cover + new paint, due to peeling automotive coat
    - thoroughly structure check
    - safe some weight – keep it light
    - poss. engine swap 582 to 912
    - turn her into a beauty...

documentation since `95
    IMG_4903.jpg
    Marc
    rebuilding IV-1200
    `Kitfox fifty`

Congrats on your "new to you" plane. I'll be following along. Welcome!

It will be interesting journey!!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Ok, update...
    meanwhile
    Last edited by motortommy; 04-13-2019 at 01:52 PM.
    Marc
    rebuilding IV-1200
    `Kitfox fifty`

sorry!

OK, update...
    meanwhile I removed wing covering completely. Collect each single piece in a waste bag to check the weight. Unbelievable amount of car paint not sticking to the poly-fiber...All trash!
    I found some unglued false ribs, a leaking tank which contaminated ribs with 2stroke mix and came off parts of alloy end. I think this is also the reason for the wrinkles, I described in my previous thread. As flaperon brackets were removed by previous owner and put back in place on covered wing, riveting was incomplete and also only into wood capstrip. Alloy strips were no more in place...
    By the way I built a wing rig. Due to my bicycle profession I decided to use 2 workstands, some tube crap wrapped with handlebar tape. Bolt together with wodden angles. Nice adjustable and quick solution...
    87657E07-26E1-46FF-9C2A-01B6465E35DC.jpeg6FB89841-80B3-496E-B011-0C0479D11677.jpegE7E40E77-CE7B-45C7-A4EA-4ABE158A2C67.jpegAFC2F127-0D16-4394-82C2-32C1EC5C5796.jpeg
    Last edited by motortommy; 04-13-2019 at 01:53 PM.
    Marc
    rebuilding IV-1200
    `Kitfox fifty`

I really enjoy reading your reports. It sounds like you already have a really good idea of what a quality build should look like. Keep the reports coming.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Keep thinking the way you are and you'll end up with a restoration you can have confidence in. Nothing worse than having niggling doubts when couple of thousand feet in the air !!.
    David
    SS7 Builder