Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitfox IV `project fifty`

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Kitfox IV `project fifty`

sorry!

OK, update...
    meanwhile I removed wing covering completely. Collect each single piece in a waste bag to check the weight. Unbelievable amount of car paint not sticking to the poly-fiber...All trash!
    I found some unglued false ribs, a leaking tank which contaminated ribs with 2stroke mix and came off parts of alloy end. I think this is also the reason for the wrinkles, I described in my previous thread. As flaperon brackets were removed by previous owner and put back in place on covered wing, riveting was incomplete and also only into wood capstrip. Alloy strips were no more in place...
    By the way I built a wing rig. Due to my bicycle profession I decided to use 2 workstands, some tube crap wrapped with handlebar tape. Bolt together with wodden angles. Nice adjustable and quick solution...
    87657E07-26E1-46FF-9C2A-01B6465E35DC.jpeg6FB89841-80B3-496E-B011-0C0479D11677.jpegE7E40E77-CE7B-45C7-A4EA-4ABE158A2C67.jpegAFC2F127-0D16-4394-82C2-32C1EC5C5796.jpeg
    Last edited by motortommy; 04-13-2019 at 01:53 PM.
    Marc
    rebuilding IV-1200
    `Kitfox fifty`

Keep thinking the way you are and you'll end up with a restoration you can have confidence in. Nothing worse than having niggling doubts when couple of thousand feet in the air !!.
    David
    SS7 Builder

so today I wanted to learn more regarding the "batwing design" of my horizontal. Very uneven look although I like the slightly speedster styled tails.
    Look at the trim tab area

IMG_4969a.jpgIMG_4976a.jpg

Insight shows a mess of thin, unattached ribs, hold in place only by PVC electric tape. Some housebuilding insulation foam was added for "strength"
    IMG_4977a.jpgIMG_4979a.jpg

OK. steelframe is good, w/o corrosion. I think, I like to have a slightly shaped tail again (hope that`s not naughty!). At the moment vertical is flat while horizontal was with profile. Where to find a suitable pattern/shape? My manual shows only an outline of a horizontal rib with 1.25 height? What about the elevator? Further 6pcs. are mentioned, but if you check 1st pic. there are many more. So how to proceed?

Next there is a trim servo labeled with 8V or alike. It`s still working, but I have only 2 wires and there is no end stop (elctronic/mechanic). Should I keep this item or is there a more modern one nowadays standard?
    Marc
    rebuilding IV-1200
    `Kitfox fifty`

I don't even know what to say..... I can't believe there are builds like this out there. Good thing you decided to take it apart. This will be a good one to watch you work through!
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

I´m still here…in case some have imagined the newbie quit already!

More disassembly is going on. Each section has its surprises
    Hoping that I could complete and partly renew existing stuff, (e.g. like wiring) it turned out that cleaning up the mess is better…
    IMG_5332.jpgIMG_5333.jpgIMG_5337.jpg
    Marc
    rebuilding IV-1200
    `Kitfox fifty`

After finally finishing disassembly of my bird it feels good to fabricate sth new again at last.
    First a couple of new false ribs.

scale-2000-900-5B76FcuyCpMbmwHB1Fea.jpg scale-2000-900-NFWyWRIjIv6f-7Bblo2o.jpg scale-2000-900-ib6TSKVAd2aPotdZ3S9P.jpg

scale-2000-900-VhyVzzG5z7sJWgnJRgYM.jpg scale-2000-900-7LaysFDg1Fzx7okc-REc.jpg

Regarding the horizontal I decided to go with the easier non-speedster option. Not sure if I got it right. By manual there are 6 ribs required all with equal thickness of 1.25 scaled to proper length. I made according cardboard samples which look quite ´flat´...
    Worry I misread something…
    Marc
    rebuilding IV-1200
    `Kitfox fifty`