Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Prevent corrosion

Default Prevent corrosion

So, out of curiosity, after reaming out the elevator hinges (and other areas requiring stripping of the powder coating to make pieces fit together), what keeps those areas from corroding if the frame is so susceptible being 4130 steel?

Default Re: Prevent corrosion

Grease!

Ralph

https://boeshield.com/marine/

I use this. I became a believer in it, when I discovered it when using it on my offshore boat. It makes a wax coating that blocks corrosion and it actually works.

Are we expected to grease every hole we reamed? If that's the case I certainly did not and need to go back.... I had similar concerns but figured we can't possibly be expected to re-paint/grease every drilled/reamed hole.

a great option for plated hardware is lanolin, available at the drug store, the packaging says it protects sore nipples but it can do more than that

I'll clarify some. If I remember correctly, you ream the tube weldament, insert a steel sleeve, then the bearing then the bolt. The grease on the steel insert to weldament is for ease of insertion, not for rotation lube, the thin coat of grease... or other substance is just to coat the metal.

... if I don't remember correctly ... I just put my foot in mouth!

Ralph

Boeshield T9 is a great choice. It’s a penetrant that leaves a slightly waxy residue. What you want to accomplish on a regular basis is to both lubricate and protect. Keep the lube in and the water out. LPS-3 is a good waxy water barrier but doesn’t penetrate as well as T9.
    It’s so easy to walk around your Kitfox from time to time squirting a bit of lube/corrosion preventive on the moving parts. Just do it AFTER PAINT.
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!

Don't forget that the Kitfox factory specifies a specific lubricant for every joint that needs lube. Look in the Builder's Tips part of the build manual. I know in the experimental world you can do your own thing, but be careful in reinventing the wheel, it may end up out of round.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post
    https://boeshield.com/marine/

I use this. I became a believer in it, when I discovered it when using it on my offshore boat. It makes a wax coating that blocks corrosion and it actually works.

I concur whole-hardheartedly. Great stuff.
    I used T-9 in the boat industry, my vehicles, all my equipment on the ranch and on
    classic cars parts where bare steel had to be protected and painting was not an option.
    Yes, it's expensive compared to wd-40 and others but worth it imho.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Look up NA-01-1A-509. There’s a book 1 and a book 2. This is how the US Navy deals with aircraft corrosion. You (US folks) paid for it. Might as well use it!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF