Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MeSteve’s Build Log

Default Re: MeSteve’s Build Log

Working on the door frame...

I understand the manual to instruct the door frame pieces to position the 3-sided tube section on he square frame of the door frame. However, the front part of the door frame material for the threshold sits out from the frame about 3/8”.

Am I understanding this correctly or did I miss something? How do I bring the front of the threshold flush?
    Steve
    SS7 in work

Steve I gently massaged mine over my leg until the fitment was acceptable. DOor positioning.jpg

Recommendation: clamp it in place with lots of clamps and the required spacers as you make small adjustments or you might end up chasing the elusive rabbit.

Good luck, Darrel

If anything add a little extra space to the front of door. If the front is too tight then you will not be able to fit the bracket for the gas strut between the door and the frame.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

So, apparently, my computer is having a Monday (yes, its Thursday...) and won't search the forums.

I am looking for floor board mounting solutions that people have been happy with. I don't like the little screws provided since they wont reach several of the tabs welded to the frame. I have thought rivnuts, but don't they have the potential to spin loose making screw removal, er, difficult?
    Steve
    SS7 in work

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whisky View Post
    Steve I gently massaged mine over my leg until the fitment was acceptable. DOor positioning.jpg

Recommendation: clamp it in place with lots of clamps and the required spacers as you make small adjustments or you might end up chasing the elusive rabbit.

Good luck, Darrel

Its actually the outside of this photo where I am curious about... At that forward lower corner, where the vertical angle meets the boot cowl.
    Steve
    SS7 in work

Quote Originally Posted by Mesteve View Post
    So, apparently, my computer is having a Monday (yes, its Thursday...) and won't search the forums.

I am looking for floor board mounting solutions that people have been happy with. I don't like the little screws provided since they wont reach several of the tabs welded to the frame...
    Built my series 5 many years ago and found that using sheet metal screws that go thru the tabs are not a great idea as over time they will strip out, so if thats what the new kits still use, do yourself a favor and use the rivnuts its either now or later. They have rivnuts that have a key to help alleviate the spinout. Bruce N199CL

And a little dab of red Loctite on the rivnut doesn't hurt either.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Mesteve View Post
    Its actually the outside of this photo where I am curious about... At that forward lower corner, where the vertical angle meets the boot cowl.
    Steve,

If I understand your question correctly, the position of the short piece of aluminum angle that's bonded to the fuselage structure there, is adjusted to make everything fairly flush. That may not be what you're talking about.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Yup. that's the piece. Am I cutting the sill/door frame so the vertical piece can taper in?
    Steve
    SS7 in work

I'm still not sure if I understand your question clearly, but the installed position of the aluminum angle is adjusted for the best fit, and some SuperFil or something similar could be used to fare it in if necessary. As I recall, I didn't do a particularly good job with that. You don't do any cutting on the "sill/door frame" if I read you correctly and you are talking about the fuselage structure as it comes from Kitfox.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime