Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: MeSteve’s Build Log

Default MeSteve’s Build Log

I think I'm about ready to start glueing the ribs into place on the horizontal stab. What is the preferred metal prep? Just a red scotchbrite if memory serves from here. Also, I am planning on doing the varnish after they are all permanently mounted to prevent anything from getting between the hysol and the wood; sound right?

xSSy6gr%QrSxN+4coZY07Q.jpg

Default Re: MeSteve's Build Log

everything you say is how I did it. Don't forget that you will want all your ribs to line up with those mounted in the rudder and elevator. Not required but it will look nice.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Default Re:MeSteve's Build Log

Line up with rudder?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default MeSteve’s Build Log

Day 1, page 1 (well, page 2, the tool kit is on order with the requisite reamers for the hinges). Got the ribs for the horizontal stabilizer reinforcements hysoled on and dry fit to the frame. Next up is masking and prepping the frame for the bibs to get hysoled on and varnished.
    Last edited by Mesteve; 03-27-2019 at 06:27 PM.

Default Re: MeSteve's Build Log

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Line up with rudder?
    Yes, the VS ribs should line up exactly to the rudder ribs, and the HS ribs should line up exactly with the elevator ribs. You should plan this just right before you bond any in place..... it will look odd if you don’t do this....
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

Default Re: MeSteve’s Build Log

Yeah you are right. I spaced out and thought he was saying the HS ribs needed to line up with the rudder.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

After working on the right control stick bearing and mount, and getting it moving as freely as I would like, i have turned my attention to the left (delron) bearing. I have done quite a bit of sanding on the race where it meets the control column but I still have some binding, mostly at the forward 1/2 to 1/3 of range of motion. My calibrated eye says it looks like the tube is out of round some, so I will research that more as time permits. In the mean time, I am going to keep sanding away on the race to open the bearing up some and see if that cleans up the range of motion. At test fit, it didn't look like it would take removing so much material to make a clean install, but it keeps getting better each pass, so I will keep going down this path for now...

I had the same issue; had to sand more clearance than I thought. Also, don't torque the bolts down very hard because it will distort the plastic and cause binding. Put grease on also.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Put grease on also.
    I seem to recall the consensus is just a white lithium type grease, but can't seem to confirm. Does that sound about right?

I used white grease, but I believe Kitfox recommends wheel bearing grease. I don't think its a big deal either way.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS