Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MeSteve’s Build Log

Default Re: MeSteve’s Build Log

that is what I did.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks! I’ll get to cuttin’...

I have been making slow, but steady progress... I have all of the VS and rudder ribs permanently mounted and just finished up making the upper tail access panel mounting strips. The next step is mounting the aft bulkhead, but as I go about test fitting it it doesn’t seem to match up at all. Does the bulkhead need to be trimmed down to match the width of the airfoil rib that the upper access panel strip gets attached to or should it stick out that far?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was scratching my head the same way. Trim away, you are on the right path. Think about how the fabric and access panels will fit and trim according.
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

Get a piece of cloth, sheet, t-shirt or something. Lay it up against that area, pull it tight. You will glean what it will look like after fabric goes on. I barely removed enough of the wood so my fabric only barely slips around the through pipe.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I like the cloth idea. But, don't the end of the rib and the top of the bulkhead have to meet for the access panel?

Yeh, when all said and done you will note that this area is one of those spots that most of us use Poly Fiber Superfil to shape much like the aluminum angles around the small triangle windows.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I’m trying to figure out the best way to tackle elongating this hole for bolt access, but can’t find any photos that show good detail. Should I open it up past the rib or just to the rib?

and I have already realized I cut the holes too far forward... Upside, if the rudder ever needs to reach a 90 degree angle, it won’t be the fiberglass that hits first... Not to worried since I had already planned on covering the slots with clear vinyl like John does with his personal plane.
    Steve
    SS7 in work

I cut mine into a T shaped hole.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Steve, first off, your rudder can't turn through 90 Deg because the elevator will prevent that. You're limited to about + and - 25 Deg, give or take. As for the rudder hinge point bolts, like Eddie, I cut "T" shaped access slots/holes for the two upper hinge points and an "L" shaped cutout in the lower. I've included couple of photos for you.
    David
    SS7 Builder