Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MeSteve’s Build Log

Default Re: MeSteve’s Build Log

Had the pleasure of drilling out my first rivet today... Putting the flap/aileron mixer assembly together, I didn't pay attention to which side of the bar one of the arms fell on when installing the clevis pins and riveting the keeper straps.

Welcome to the home builder world !. The number of times I've done this, had second thoughts and redone stuff and generally looked at a final result and said, "nah, don't like that .... " ....well, I could write a book about it.

Plan well ahead, figure out what happens a few steps down the line. .... and don't get ahead of yourself. Most of all, stick with it and look to this site for ideas, inspiration and encouragement. I know I do ...
    David
    SS7 Builder

Revisiting the control friction, I have played around with washers and cleaned up the bushing/bearing interface, but the fore/aft movement isn’t as clean and smooth as the left/right is. My left/right movement “flops” side to side, but the fore/aft has to be moved through it’s range of motion. Has anyone else put a scale on the pull to measure the resistance?

I would say that is the norm. Fore and Aft is dependent on the Nylon friction bearing you installed to support the unit. Left to right is nearly nil since its all mounted on ball bearings / frictionless.
    I believe everyone simply polishes down the nylon bearing until the movement is freed up to your liking. Also, be aware that when you install the nylon, you can squeeze it too tight if you use too much torque on the bolts.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

MeSteve - have you had a chance to see the fairly numerous similar situations and solutions at: https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...-and-solution?

Almost all of us have had a similar issue - good luck on getting to the bottom of your specific situation. I had some level of three of the problem sources to resolve.

I have seen that thread, even contributed to it some... But thanks for the cross post for ideas.

I got around to installing the flap linkage tonight, but I noticed the linkage/bar contacts the frame when it goes through its full range of motion. I assume there will be some limits imposed later with the detents, but at this point, no rotation of the linkage prevents contact through its movement.

Is this normal, and just don't worry about it until later or is this something I need to address now somehow?

You can see the contact being made...

ee5Q27x6R129VGgQ6VufnQ.jpgee5Q27x6R129VGgQ6VufnQ1.jpg

OK, what am I missing? The instructions don’t show how the bottom piece is supposed to fit. I assume it’s a cut I need to make, but I don’t see any reference to doing so...
    Attached Images Attached Images

You're correct - at least that is how I did mine. I'm working from memory here but I believe I had to cut out a section (as opposed to just making a cut). Sorry I don't have a specific picture but maybe enough is seen here:
    Covings fitted.JPG

Yes, cut the bottom piece in your picture - it becomes two pieces.