Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox Engine Off Set Query

Default Kitfox Engine Off Set Query

Hi Everyone

Although I am new to Kitfox I built and flew a Just Aircraft Sky Raider 2 for the last 6 years and have approx 300 hours. This aircraft had great stability and could be flown hands free. However I have recently bought a Mark 2 Kitfox and during flight with power experience a turn to the right which has to countered with the stick. When power is reduced to idle this problem is eliminated. To turn right with power, the turn requires co-ordination with LEFT rudder to balance the turn. The engine (582) has no off set, could this be responsible for the turn? Has anyone experienced similar problems and if so, how were they resolved?

The aircraft was very well built and has flown only 400 hours.

Regardless of this problem I love this aircraft.

Thanks you very much in advance of any responses

Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Kitfox Engine Off Set Query

Hi Fred, I believe that most of what your asking about is due to the fact that the model II is a bit short on vertical tail surface, the Model III had a bit more then the I & II's but still not enough. I added a bit of dorsal fin area to my fuselage and added 2 inches to the leading edge of the vertical fin on my model III and it improved the planes flt characteristics very nicely flies hands and feet off now at cruise setting. I posted pictures of the fin improvements in the photo section you should be able to see them there.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

As proof of this statement, look at the photos of your two aircraft. Look at the size difference between the two tails.

This is the reason for the constant changes in the first three Kitfox models, attempts by Dan Denney to fix this issue. The model IVs (a total redesign by an aeronautical engineer) solves may of the quirky handling issues of the older models.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Fred,
    I have a model 1 and had the same issue you have. It was solved by purchasing a model IV rudder from Kitfox and extending my vertical stabelizer to match the rudder. In my case the vertical was extended 10". Turned out to be a great upgrade.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Thank you gents for advice and info,looks like high stabilizer & Mk4 rudder is the way to go.Dont look like any one in UK has done this mod,mabe LAA wont allow it will talk to them soon.
    fred

georgous model 2 by the way

Thanks Skypirate,good work done on Blakjack he looks like he smiles,deer dosent look to happy
    Last edited by fred colman; 12-06-2009 at 02:01 AM.

thanks Fred ,..horse enthusiast?,..blackjack is like a big puppy I cut him lose in the yard all the time,..if he heads up the road I just hollar "Blackjack ,..get your butt back in the yard~!" he stops ,.. and turns around and walks back into the yard like a kid kicking dirt ha ha
    as for the deer ,..I got his 10 point brother this year (480 yard shot) dropped him in his tracks