Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel cap leak

Default Re: Fuel cap leak

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, fuel stains painted planes as well.
    Not urethane
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

One of the main reasons I used Aerothane over Polyfiber was the durability and resistance to staining of almost any kind. Bird dooey and any other species of feces, pine sap, fuel, oil, tar just about any kind of gunk I have had the misfortune of collecting on our kitfox has always come clean 100%. On several occasions I had to use MEK on a rag as the solvent of choice, which is just fine with Aerothane provided there are no breaks in the paint film. Polytone is easy to repair but not so good in dealing with stains. Each product has its advantages and disadvantages. Marketing people generally don't share the disadvantages with great enthusiasm but are very passionate about the plusses.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Steve's thoughts are right on. I recall when the blue Mercedes gasket was mentioned in one of the early e-mail lists. I bought them then and they did save a lot of grief for lots of guys. Then the vent hole thing is spot on as well. My 1992 cap has the two holes in the top of the cap welded shut. These were there for venting the gas tanks of the Mercedes cars. With our set-up if not sealed they will neutralize the pressure provided by the Pitot vents and allow spilling in all the attitudes mentioned including light turbulence with full tanks. I think I found some of the blue gaskets on ebay and ordered a couple as mine are the typical black replacements. I will report when they get here if they are actually the ones mentioned.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I wonder if this staining thing is the Achilles heel of Oratex? Everything else about it seems to be so good.
    came back across this question. I have Oratex now for 3.5 years using 100LL 100% of the time (490hrs). I get white residue from the exhuast that trails back to aft of the pilots door. It washes right off. Dustin certainly had me concerned with his experience but mine is proving to be different.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Do you use a lead scavenger, such as decalin?

I do use Decalin.
    I have had the fuel flow from the vent in large qty as well and I have not had fuel stain the silver Oratex on the wing nor has it stained the white Polytone paint. I thought for sure the white was going to show but it wiped off with alcohol as well.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    I do use Decalin.
    I have had the fuel flow from the vent in large qty as well and I have not had fuel stain the silver Oratex on the wing nor has it stained the white Polytone paint. I thought for sure the white was going to show but it wiped off with alcohol as well.

could the stain be coming from the decalin/lead exiting the exhaust pipe. That is what I was told mine stain is.

We're using SuperFlite paint system and E0 UL Automotive 93 AKI Gas has stained our Paint. The SuperFlite folks told us that they haven't seen staining with 100LL but didn't have any experience with E0 UL fuels.

Wish we had some type of check valve that allowed air in and out, but kept the fuel in. We get fuel splashing out even with 3/4 full tanks while taxiing around.

==
    Michael

I've had good luck using a "Mister Clean Magic Eraser" to remove fuel stains.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

You probably need to change the fuel cap gasket. Many Kitfox owners have had good results from a Mercedes gasket.

0530391.jpg

I hope this will help prevent new staining.
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V