Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade from SS7 to STi kit?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Upgrade from SS7 to STi kit?

I am looking at purchasing a partially completed Series 7 Super Sport kit, which has had very little work done to date. Is it possible to upgrade the SS7 kit to an STi version by purchasing the individual STi kits listed on the Kitfox site? The list of "included kits" are as follows:

S7 STi Fuselage Kit
    S7 STi Wing Kit
    S7 STi Landing Gear Kit
    Covering Kit and Rib Lacing Kit

Because the Fuselage Kit is listed, I'm wondering if the fuselages differ between the two models to the point that an upgrade is not possible. For example, the STi wing has larger chord, which raises a concern that there could be a difference where those wings attach to the fuselage. Is the landing gear different enough to raise concerns? What else is there that might/will cause trouble?

Has anyone done this, and if so, could you share your experience?

Default Re: Upgrade from SS7 to STi kit?

The fuselage is identical. I'm sure you can order STi wings, and Cabane/Monster Shock gear from Kitfox if you want an STi. If the cost of buying the kit and those upgrades is less than the cost of a complete kit from Kitfox, then the kit is a heck of a deal on its own.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Why not call KitfoxLLC? John and Debra have put a lot of time, money and their spare time (yeah right, what is spare time to the owner? That is the period between the restless sleep and suddenly waking up). They like to talk about their children just like everyone else because they have so much of their lives devoted to the kids development and you know they are always thinking, "should we make another one? They were always my first go to when I had a question. I just don't understand why people jump on the forum to ask "will this after market piece fit my..." or "can I take a series 5 part and make it work on my mark 2? You will always get several people saying "I have never tried that but it should work". John and Debra have been with Kitfox since before the ownership changed over to them. They know what will work and what won't work. That is what research and development is all about. Personally, I would trust their answers before all but about 5 people on the forum. No disrespect to anyone on the forum but I have read some incorrect information from every one including my self and that is why I tend to keep my mouth shut on info. Besides without our purchases and questions to the manufacture why should they sell parts. I also know that there is no reason not to sell perfectly good parts you have that are not being used for discounted prices. OK I'm done sounding off. Go ahead and flame away

The STI was designed to be retro fitted to any 5 tail dragger or newer. In fact Trent's Freedom Fox STI was originally a standard wing Model 5.

If you go this route, send me a message if you sell the SS7 wings, I may be interested as I'm just about to start rebuilding a destroyed wing on a Model 6.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Welcome aboard Jeff.

I have been working on my build about five and a half months. I try and get at least one thing done every day and make plans for the next day. Sometimes life gets in the way but that’s ok.

For the first couple of months I was keeping track of my hours and it seemed like I was punching a time clock so now I just go to work and have fun, to heck with keeping time. Some people ask how many hours will it take. My reply is who cares, I’m having fun.

Enjoy the build!
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

Very envious !!! Best of luck and keep us informed on how it goes

Alright!!!!! Welcome along Jeff.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

One reason to post questions here is because the factory encourages the use of the forum. Sometimes we are not interested in waiting till business hours too. A simple question may elicit a viable answer and others will result in advice such as yours. Call the factory. Yes, sometimes you get bad advice here but usually someone will chime in with "call the factory on this one". If I were making any modification I would not hesitated to call the factory. I can't imagine what the phone would be like at the factory if we all just called them first.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I agree with Eddie. John, Debra, Heather and Brandon do, in fact, provide an exceptional level of service and support. However, they have been busier than one-legged men in a butt-kicking contest the last couple years, and I know they appreciate that the forums exist to answer simple questions and to provide informal tech support. It's always good to ask here first. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, by all means give Kitfox a call.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

OK Eddie and Aviator 79 yoy guys are absoulutly correct I should have thought my comment through before
    I pushed submit reply. There many times that an anoying call to Kitfox should be avoided, however I don't think you will ever hear
    discouragement or frustration in the voice on the end of the phone line.
    Just as criticism like mine is seldom posted on these forums.
    The Crew at Kitfox are too professional and have too much love and respect for these planes to be discouraged.
    I meant no disrespect to anyone with my post and I apologize to everyone.