Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lake Tahoe Series 7 SS build

Default Re: Lake Tahoe Series 7 SS build

Ok, I've been working hard on my kit. I'm not building in the traditional order. The plane is nearly "complete" less cover and paint. I have the last four rudder ribs and the speedster caps left. I also need to mount the doors. The engine, cowl, boot cowl and panel are 90% finished. I have my upholstery too.

Here is my finished panel. MGL Xtreme EFIS and EMS. Also using a MGL ECB panel. One ribbon cable to the switches and main hot to the ECB. The glove box was sourced from iboats.com. It holds the ipad mini and has two cup holders

IMG_2279.jpg

IMG_2280.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking great Tim! We will have to link up and go flying when you get it finished. I have a series 5 that I bought about 6 months ago that I base in Stead.

Nice panel Tim.
    I love the ease of connecting MGL's products. I'm seriously considering their new Explorer Lite glass panel in the 8.5" screen size. I've picked up an iPad Air 2
    for use with Foreflight and Stratus for my back up screen. MGL's com radio looks great too. I believe they now have a solution for ADS-B out also.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

The little 8 channel electronic circuit breaker item is neat too. I have the sandia remote transponder that is controlled by the efis. All mgl this time.

Nice job on the panel Tim. Interesting that you are choosing to build in a 'different' sequence. It's looking good though. I too have the MGL Extreme's and about to wire them up - might be calling on your expertise!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

rosslr, I was somewhat forced to change the order due to the weather here and my personality (to keep a good pace). I love to multi task and stay busy. As soon as I got my build manual. I split it into 3 binders. That way I could work on different areas if I ran into a snag or cold weather prevented me from gluing. I'm installing the rudder speed fairings today. I'm amazed at how fast the hysol dries now.

I also couldn't fathom covering and painting the fuselage without the boot cowl and engine cowl. Heck, my fuselage has been on the gear since the second month. It has made a great front sawhorse.

Your build has been awesome to follow. I appreciate all the photos you provide.

Hi Tim,

I think your explanation about sequencing the build - doing it in a way that matches your personality, the prevailing weather and to take into consideration hold ups - is really useful for people contemplating a start on the project. It makes a lot of sense and on reflection, I can see where I have 'wasted' a lot of time by sticking to the sequence when waiting on weather or parts ( although I have made compensations along the way, but nothing as systematic as you have).

Bye the way, with our weather being cold right now, I have the bottom cowl sitting here in the lounge room with me so the Hysol will go off over night! And I will probably have to wait for some warm weather to paint it - reinforces your point about thinking the project through and matching your approach to your circumstances.

Have fun installing the rudder and if you haven't already seen the posts on NOT setting the rudder angle at this stage, it would be worth looking them up - best to leave that to after covering as the angles really need to be set visually at that stage.

go well

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

I jumped back to the speedster tail and knocked that out today. I'm amazed how fast the hysol sets up. It sure beats heating the two cans for an hour before mixing!

Tomorrow I'll take on the bubble doors and wrap up my fuselage section.

Very nice panel Tim. I'm jealous of all that simplified wiring.

And I think your unconventional approach to the build process makes a lot of sense. It obviously works well as you seemed to have gotten a lot done in a short time. Project looks great.

I took a day off and completed the butt ribs and mocked up the door frames.

I gotta build up some courage to cut the acrylic doors...