Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rib stitching under flaperon brackets

Default Rib stitching under flaperon brackets

I just finished rib stitching both wings, except one rib because I ran out of reinforcement tape. Then in talking with another kitfoxer I realized I have run tape and rib stitched all the way to the trailing edge including under where the flaperon brackets get riveted on. My question is should I/can I leave the stitches in place and lay finish tape then install the brackets over the top of the two stitches, or should I cut the two and terminate at the stitch before the bracket.

I imagine no mater what finish tape will be run all the way to the trailing edge regardless and under the brackets so I’d just be adding the stitches.

Also if I remove do I still lace the bottom capstrip under the brackets, or is this not needed?

Default Re: Rib stitching under flaperon brackets

Your tape does not need to wrap around the wing as is recommended of the pinked tapes over the top of it all. In fact you are just fine cutting the reinforcement tapes at a half inch length and just use them at every stich. I ran my tape up to any object and no further. My bottom reinforcement tape for example, stops at the aluminum trailing edge (its front edge). My pinked tapes wrap all the way around.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Joe, my last rib stitches on the trailing edge is under each flapperon hanger bracket. I did the same as you - over exuberant on the rib stitching and didn't think ahead....It's not a problem, don't change it if you've already done it. The rivet pullup load will squish the stitch between the bracket and the rib.
    David
    SS7 Builder

I do the same thing 😬..

I plan to painting all flaperon bracket and put some hysol under bracket for the final installation ,just to make sure everything sitting well.

I talked with the factory and they suggest removing the stitches and tape... only finish tape goes under brackets... I guess I’ll have a few extra holes under the finish tape

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRuscito View Post
    I talked with the factory and they suggest removing the stitches and tape... only finish tape goes under brackets... I guess I’ll have a few extra holes under the finish tape
    Does removing this stitch compromise the stitches further forward ?. By that I mean, don't you have a full or half hitch at the beginning and end of the stitching on each rib which effectively ties each end of the stitching off ?. I'm not trying to question factory advice but maybe ask them about any potential for loosening, just to be sure. FWIW
    David
    SS7 Builder

What I did was cut the two I needed to remove, then carefully pulled the stitches back through the last hole where I want to keep the stitch. Then I cut off the loose ends and finished the remaining knot with a half hitch or two... should be just like if I terminated there originally... the first one or two I did, did end up slightly looser than they started but not bad and after that I was able to keep them pretty tight.... The trick was to stick the back end of my needle in the other side of the wing and catch the loose runner line and push it up through the existing hole...

If this sounds like a bad idea someone please let me know and Ill re-stitch the ribs.. I actually ended up enjoying the rib stitching.

If you tied it off and kept the stitching tight I think you are good to go.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Agree with Phil. My main concern was that you had terminating hitches so you didn't get loosening over time. If tight now, all good.
    David
    SS7 Builder

How tight is tight? They aren’t the tightest stitches. If I wiggle the looser ones on top of the fabric they move a mm or two to either side. This is just the first two I repaired. The rest are way tighter.