Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Questions on PVC fairing

Default Questions on PVC fairing

Working on getting the pvc fairing material on the lift struts. Instructions don’t make mention of any adhesive before clipping together? Is it recommend to use hysol or caulk to help keep them in place? Or is it better not to so they can center in airstream? Or once clipped together and the ends glued do they stay in place?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Default Re: Questions on PVC fairing

The lift strut fairings should be attached to the lift struts using hysol. Try and align them as close to streamlined as you can and then bond them in place. You'll need to make a cutout for the jury struts. As far as the lower end of the struts is concerned, most people don't use the sheetmetal fairings provided by Kitfox. Instead, they fill and fair that area using foam and hysol or other fill. One aspect to keep in mind is that when swinging the wings, you'll need to cut back the fairings when they meet at the lower end of the struts. I can't recall by how much (I haven't done mine yet) but take a look through some of the build threads (JEvens, efwd, Esser etc and you'll see what others have done.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Thanks guys! I am going to bond, (fancy word for glue) them on with hysol (fancy word for jb weld) today.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I would not use Hysol as a fairing putty. It's too hard to sand. I used Superfil

Agree with Tom, Hysol for bonding, SuperFill for filling and fairing. This is true anywhere on the airplane except where specifically stated otherwise.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Does anyone have any hints on how you held the jury strut clamps in place when you installed the lift strut fairings? I haven't been able to find much on the forumn.

Thanks,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by kitfoxrk View Post
    Does anyone have any hints on how you held the jury strut clamps in place when you installed the lift strut fairings? I haven't been able to find much on the forumn.

Thanks,
    Bob
    I carefully measured the location and cut a square hole in the fairing just large enough to fit over the compressed clamp ends. Then used safety wire to hold the clamps closed tightly in place on the struts and installed the fairing over the clamp ends. Sealed the gaps around the clamps with superfill to keep water out.

Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

That’s one of the nicest looking jury strut bracket fairing cut outs I’ve seen Tom. 👍

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I'll second that. I used the same method but my hole has cracks in the Super Fill. Probably because I didn't get the hole so tight as yours appears. Nice job.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I used white silicone caulking to fill in my jury strut cutouts; offers some flexibility.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS