Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Epoxy primer inside spars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Epoxy primer inside spars

I think about a quart per wing should do it if I remember correctly. You want extra so you know you covered everything. I, too, did the tennis ball method.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Eastwood.com sells a wand with a 360 degree spray head for spraying inside automotive panels. Check it out
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Dustin, I used Corrosion-X inside my spars. Living in the low humidity of Colorado, I'm thinking that is sufficient although I will probably renew it at each condition inspection. I also soaked the inside of my lift struts with linseed oil early on.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Youll need to either spray or apply with a brush when it comes to the exterior surfaces. As for the slosh, I propped the quick built wing on a sawhorse. I put tennis balls into the spars at the floor. I poured the primer in at the end propped up on the sawhorse. quickly put the tennis balls into the ends and ran to the other end, picked it up and tilted back and forth. I used new, fuzzy tennis balls. Leaked pretty good. I think some have stopped the leaks by putting saran wrap over the ball first.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Left as delivered.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

I primered mine with epoxy primer with a brush. Aviator79 did the same I believe.

Some primered the inside by inserting a tennis ball in one side (press fit), loading primer, then ball in other end and then rotate wing.

So this is a timely discussion for me. I will be starting my rebuild of a Kitfox 4 that I intend to someday put on amphibious floats. Although I live in Illinois where corrosion isn't as great of a concern, I want to do what I can because my retirement plans include going to coastal areas and splashing around. Given that the wings are already assembled and in good shape, what is the consensus regarding corrosion protection I can use that would be effective without having to take things apart on the wings? Is there something that can "creep" into the joints?
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (rebuilt and now flying)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Quote Originally Posted by colospace View Post
    Dustin, I used Corrosion-X inside my spars. Living in the low humidity of Colorado, I'm thinking that is sufficient although I will probably renew it at each condition inspection. I also soaked the inside of my lift struts with linseed oil early on.
    Colospace, how did you spray the inside of the spars? Did you simply use a spray can, spraying at one end and letting it drain to the other end, or did you use some kind of special long wand? How many ounces did it take to convincingly cover the entire internal length?
    Thanks
    Michael
    Michael
    Cherokee 180; Kitfox S7SS in progress